First full day on safari


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Sabi Sands
April 17th 2014
Published: April 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The first full day of our safari stared with a wake- up call at 5:30 then some tea and coffee before our morning safari and we saw Impala, again, and again, and again. Then Elvis spotted some Leopard tracks and started to track the Leopard through a donga, a river bed, there was some really serious 4-wheel driving. While Sean and Elvis tracked the illusive Leopard we saw a dazzle of Zebra, a herd of Elephant, Kudu, an e agle owl, a Bataleur eagle, various types of buck before finally finding the Leopard named as Scotia’s daughter, who was just lazing in the grass, but everyone was still really excited.



Then Chris and I went for a swim but no diving catches this time, too many people. So we got out pretty quickly and then went and had a nap for a couple of hours, after a lunch of 3 courses, which made it really hard to get ready for the safari for me, because dozing made me dopey.



We met an American couple called Monica and David who were really nice and excited to see some animals, particularly giraffes, on Monica’s part.



So we left (with David and Monica) and almost straight away saw a side striped Jackal, as our luck would dictate, which was the rarer of the two jackal. We were trying to find the Leopard, Scotia’s daughter again so where the truck couldn’t go, Elvis and Sean did on foot, so we waited in the truck for 15 minutes, during this time a Hyena wandered up to the truck.



When Sean came back Elvis was not with him. Sean explained that Elvis had gone to track the Leopard by himself and we would pick him up later. So we drove around looking for a leopard that no-one could find and ran into a giraffe, which greatly excited Monica who snapped photos almost religiously. Then of course, Sean gets a call that the Leopard, two even, had been found… exactly where we were five minutes ago. K



There is rule that says only two cars may be at a sighting at a time, so the animals didn’t get freaked. It was time to pick Elvis up and there were already two cars at the Leopards so we couldn’t go the direct route to Elvis had to go way around and into a river, where we were ALMOST bogged before getting to Elvis just as it got dark.



From there we went to Lion Sands, a neighbouring camp where we, of course, saw lions. Three males and two females, and err… We heard more than saw, mating, which two males had brawling over the right to mate; unfortunately we didn’t get any pictures of the fight as we were going to film but it didn’t turn out. L


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb