The Game Drives


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Sabi Sands
October 20th 2010
Published: October 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Just a little bit about the game drives.

We're in Land Rover Pumas. They are great vehicles for this terrain. They take 7 passengers and have one of those seats on the bonnet for the tracker. They've taken us over some varied terrain and we've felt safe all the time, if not always comfortable!

The tracker often goes off on his own and follows tracks. Armed with just a walkie talkie!

A couple of times the guide has also gone off, with the tracker, and the rifle and left us all in the vehicle. Part of me wanting something dangerous to happen so I can get in the drivers seat (I'm sat nearest) and take off at high speed (they leave the keys in it!)

When we go for drives in the morning we stop for a hot drink and some snacks. When we got out in the afternoon they practically take a whole Bar with them!

The drives are very well organised here and don't permit more than 3 vehicles to 'view'anything. So what happens if your group comes across something, is that you'll watch it and savour it for a while then call it in''. As new groups arrive you just drive off and find something else exciting to look at. Much better than in the Masia Mara when we couldn't see some of the animals because it was like a minibus park.

Greg and Dan are both very knowledgable and Greg is always recalling great stories. They speak often in the local language, as is most of the radio activity. This is primarily so the guests don't catch on. I'm trying to learn it as I don't like secrets!! I know, Lion, Elephant, Kill, Hyena, Hello at the moment, so I don't think I can hold a conversation!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb