South Africa - Kruger Park


Advertisement
Published: March 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

South Africa - Kruger Park




Wednesday 10th March



Kruger Park is the largest game reserve in South Africa with an area of 2½ million hectares. That makes it the same size as Israel and larger than Wales. It is also probably the most popular - it was certainly very busy during the time that we were there. The park is very successful - it is increasing in area and has expanded into Mozambique. Some of the species are too successful - the park is currently having to cull its elephants because the population has grown too large and they haven't been able to give the elephants to any other reserve.
Our tour leaders, Justin and Anneka, worked as tour guides in Kruger Park before working on our current route and are lucky enough to live inside the park {How did they manage that??} so this is their area of expertise.

There are 156 species of animals and more than 500 species of birds inside the park. The park loses about four tourists each month - we are amazed at the stories Justin tells us of some of the stupid things that tourists have done to get themselves killed.
We spend about 2 days in the park, arriving from Graskop on the Monday afternoon and exiting at about midday Wednesday to head towards Mozambique. Tuesday was the big day - we set out at about 5:30 a.m. to try and spot the wildlife while it is still moving about and don’t get back to the campsite until 2:30 p.m. Some of us then go out later for a 3 hour night drive.



Tuesday was also the most productive day in terms of game viewing. We see all of the so-called “Big 5” including a leopard which is one of the hardest things to spot. I think it’s only the second that I’ve seen a leopard in the wild. It’s Andrew who spots the leopard although he thinks he has spotted a lion and is initially disappointed to find out that his lion is “only a leopard”!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

WarthogWarthog
Warthog

Goes well with chips
LionLion
Lion

Spotted on the night drive


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb