Back at the Camp . . .


Advertisement
Published: November 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We all thought (and hoped) we had another night drive today, but we didn’t. So we were back at the camp by about 5pm. We were feeling disappointed and perplexed with what to do with the time. But it turned out to be an exciting evening!

In one of the trees in our camp was a pair of owls. I’m not sure of their name, but they were incredible! They were tiny, maybe the size of my hand. And they were sleeping in a tree. Their feather pattern exactly matched the bark of the tree. They blend in so perfectly, they look like branches! It took me awhile to figure out what we were even looking at! So so cool.

But the coolest thing was that the elephants came by! Our camp is surrounded by a fence, about 10 feet high and the top is electric. But just on the other side it the wild - and it came to visit!

First I heard some branches snapping. A few minutes later, an elephant appeared, about 25 feet away. It was feeding on leaves. We all had our cameras out, even pulled up chairs, and just watched. Eventually 2 more elephants came by. All feeding. At one point, one came right up to the fence! Honestly, only a few feet away, nothing but wire between us. It was absolutely unbelievable. They were probably feeding along our fence for 30 minutes or more. And we just watched the entire time.

Then the sunset came. And it was beautiful, setting behind distant mountains. We all climbed the water tower for better views. The photos don’t do justice.

And we settled in around the fire chatting. I really like Crystal & Allan (the Canadians) and Claire & Andy (the Brits). Aside from the obvious highlights of the last few days, I’ve really enjoyed their company. Some hours later, an elephant came back. This time, him being a massive shadow with glowing white tusks, it was much more intimidating having him there so close!

But again we’re sleeping here with the animals at our door.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Close Up!Close Up!
Close Up!

This is not editted. I was able to get this shot with only a minimal zoom, just to focus. Now that is close!
Our GroupOur Group
Our Group

Or most of us anyway . . . Back: Stephan, Kristy, Claire, Andy. Front: Me, Crystal, Allan, Stuart


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb