Week in Kruger Country


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Kruger National Park
November 17th 2007
Published: November 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Marloth Park CottageMarloth Park CottageMarloth Park Cottage

Warthog going to bed
Our first week travelling started off with a relaxing drive to Nelspruit. The roads are just so empty, the drivers are very polite, the scenery is beautiful, lots of mountains and lakes and the day was sunny and hot.

We stopped off en route for lunch at the South African equivalent of a motorway cafe - although there is really no comparison. Milly's Star Stop is a restaurant set amidst green hills and the outside deck goes out over a trout lake. The food was delicious of course, that's one of the best things about being in another country, the food is always so different.

We carried on to Marloth Park where we were going to spend our first couple of nights. This is a small village set in a game reserve. Although it doesn't have the big five, it does have lots of baboons, giraffe, zebra, warthogs and smaller buck such as nyala and kudu. After unloading all our equipment we took our sundowners to the lookout point. Marloth Park is on the south side of the Kruger Park separated by the Crocodile River. The view site gives a marvellous view of Kruger and the sun sets at
Kruger ParkKruger ParkKruger Park

Just like the M20, a traffic jam - or is it operation stack?
one end of the river and rises at the other.

As it was getting dark we made our way back and started the braai. We got a bit of a fright as a warthog appeared from under our deck and proceeded to check us out to see if we had any food for him. I made a quick dash into the cottage and closed the door. I love the wildlife but generally at more of a distance!
He finally wandered off just making the occasional visit back before retiring under our deck.

The next few days were taken up with confirming wedding arrangements for Kerry but we did manage a quick morning drive in Kruger. Nothing too spectacular except we came round a corner to see a fairly young elephant just crossing the road, he got a bit of a fright as well as us, in fact he was so cross that he gave us a mock charge.

We decided to take a day off on Thursday and go into Kruger so stayed at a backpackers just outside the entrance. it was an 'interesting' place, very bohemiam but the owners made us very welcome.

Thursday in
Lower Sabie RestaurantLower Sabie RestaurantLower Sabie Restaurant

Weavers coming to lunch
Kruger the temperature was up to 41 degress which was pretty hot to be driving around in but we did take a dip in the pool at Lower Sabie to cool off. We saw plenty of game including a leopard and her cub which no-one else saw before they moved off into the bush and absolutely loads of elephants.

As all the accommodation was fully booked in the park except for the campsites we settled for one of those. We were well equipped with our braai, table and chairs, picnic bag etc. The only thing we were missing was a tent, but hey, that's really not a problem. We slid the front seats of the 4 x 4 as far forward as they would go, reclined them to rest on the back seat and made our bed in there. We both slept like a baby, very comfortable, in fact may even try it again. The campers next to us had their fly sheet take off in the wind but we were laughing and what with a radio and light built in needed nothing more.

We bought some impala steak from the camp shop and cooked a delicious potjie
Camping without a tentCamping without a tentCamping without a tent

Impala stew for supper
(casserole) on the fire in the evening, a glass or two of wine, the stars out overhead - certainly beats watching tv.

Awake at 4am to get out the gates as soon as they open, we were on the road to see the sun rise over the African landscape - beautiful. We were rewarded by seeing a small pride of lion fairly close to the road with 3 large cubs as we made our way out of the park.


A leisurely drive to Jo'burg where we spent the weekend with Aaron and Lynor, cleaned out and packed the trailer ready for our drive to Cape Town starting Monday.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb