Surrounded by Hyenas at Maroela Camp


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Limpopo » Hoedspruit
October 9th 2013
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -24.349, 30.9542

We decided to try out a new camp this year and go to the Maroela camp. This is a satellite camp located near the Orpen gate. It is supposed to have wild dogs and cheetah in the area and so off we went. On the way we drove the S-100 and it was pretty calm.

The ride was going smoothly when we came to a detour. During the floods earlier this year, the bridge over the Timbavati river about 10 kilometres from Maroela was washed away. We had to take a detour that took us on a dirt road that was being graded the first time we drove on it and the piled up sand did not make driving that easy.

Got to the camp and decided to camp under this very large tree right up against the fence. The wind was blowing and so we had to stake down the tent before we could erect it. We fixed a delicious stir-fry with chicken and coconut milk that turned out quite delicious and enough for dinner as well.

Jerry and Tom caught up with us as we were going on our evening drive. We drove the closed road down to where the bridge was washed out. It is very beautiful as you drive along changing from open savannah to very treed areas and goes along the Timbavati river.

Got back to camp and had dinner and were sitting and enjoying a glass of wine when the first hyenas started slinking past the fence! The guys decided to go on a walk around the perimeter on the inside of the fence and saw six hyenas and a genet. I had stayed back because of uneven surfaces and missed out on the action.

We decided to go to bed and were drifting off when Jerry came to the tent and said the hyenas has killed a bushbuck right outside the fence and you could hear the bones being crunched as they feasted. Robert got dressed and went and watched for awhile. Evidently something startled the hyena because it quickly ran off from the animal they were eating on.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Surrounded By Hyenas At Maroela CampSurrounded By Hyenas At Maroela Camp
Surrounded By Hyenas At Maroela Camp

Jerry came back to say that Hyena had killed a bush buck
Surrounded By Hyenas At Maroela CampSurrounded By Hyenas At Maroela Camp
Surrounded By Hyenas At Maroela Camp

Genet outside the fence, what a treat to see !


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb