Surfing in Camp


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Limpopo » Hoedspruit
September 1st 2008
Published: September 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Friday Night is Party Night

Friday night is Town night in Hoedsprit. First was a meal at the Safari Club with a the guys from Camp and friends and famliy of Tish, so we were sat in the grounds of the Restaurant on a table for about 25. Starter for me this time was Green Mussels with a thick Garlic Cream Sauce and loads of crusty bread (Yum, Yum). Then the largest Lamb Shank I have ever seen in my life (more like Elephant Shank).

Next stop was the Fort in town were nearly all the Game Lodge Guides all come for an escape from the wild animals of the bush. This weekend was no different and with 25 of us turning up plus a few more it turned into a real party. Once the bar closed at 2pm it was off home to a town house in hoedspruit called Packpackers. This is a wing of Tish's house and tonight was to sleep about 18 of us. I was driven to the house by a friend of Tish named Traci who runs the Bush Horse Riding School. Once we arrived at the house a full party was in full swing. After a couple of games of Pool by the Pool and a night cap it was time for bed (ok 5.30am).

Saturday is a real leisure day for everyone at camp so we all walked to the best deli Restaurant in town for a big breakfast. Then a quick drive back to camp. Today we arranged for Criag from the Paradise Camp to take us on a Game drive further into the bush. We left camp at about 2pm and viewed so amazing game of Zebra, Rhino, Giraffe. Just before sundown we arrived at Criag's Paradise Camp were we went up to his lookout tower and had an amazing 360 degree view high up in the bush. Watching the sun down here made me realise how beautiful this natural event really is. In the Uk for most of us we do not see this as to many buildings and the light pollution we have. Once the sun was a memory for the day the bush fell into complete darkness and slowing a new moon apperared and lite the stars for miles and miles. Then it was time for a briaa of Steak and Sausage with salad. At about 10pm some of the group went back to our camp and the rest of us went on a night drive through the bush. We came across more Zebra and impala using the spot lights. We even came across leopard and cheetah tracks in the sandy road, but was unable to find them in the thick of the trees and bushes. We arrived at Criag's colleagues Carls house were he had the most fantastic Bar house with a swimming pool leading off the seating area of the bar. After dipping our toes in the luke warm water we went back into the bar to find the guys preparing for a drinking game for the group of 12 that was left.

Dont try this at home, it will end up with a headache in the morning

Once back in the bar we sat round a large table that sat about 16 people, in the middle they had placed about 50 bottles of Alcopop and beers in the centre. right in the middle of the table was a large glass and two packs of cards fanned around the glass face down.

We then had to take turns picking a card. depending on the card gave us a different task to do. This could include a Drinking task, Truth or Dare, Miss a Turn, All the Girls drink / all the boys drink and even a waterfall which intailed that person to start drinking then one after the other the rest of the group starts drinking to, until the first person stops.

To say that i had to drink two bottle of blue WKD in one go, Strip to my pants and round around the large table three times was having a bit of an effect on me. However I did get my revenge on a coplue of the guys as i did make one of them (Ben) jump in the pool at 1am.

We finally arrive back at camp at about 1.30am and quicly hit the sack. All I remeber was waking in the morning at going back to sleep as I felt my head banging against my eyes. 2 hours later I was bright as a daisy.

Lets go Pool Surfing

Sunday is usally a slower day at camp so after a bush walk we were back to cook breakfast and spend some lazy time around the camp. As the day drew on it became very hot even in the shade (about 36 degrees someone said) so most of us then descided to spend it in the pool. When I say descided it was more like pushed in fully clothed. We spent then next couple of hours playing water games including jumping onto a small surf board floating in the pool and making alot of noise that I think there was'nt a single wild animal in the bush for miles.

I don't like Mondays, I Do Now

So after a pretty hetic weekend it was back to work again. This time we were helping with the erosion of the grass areas around camp. we had to move vast amounts of tree branches cut down when they made the main road to the reserve. During the dry season alot of the grass areas are just sand areas after the animals have eaten all the vegetation. So we moves branches onto this area to stop the animals using this, so when the rains come in the next few months it will give time for the new grasses and new bushes to grow. You should see the amount of cuts i now have as it seems that every tree in South africa has thorns on them. After a couple of hours work we then went back to camp for a big cooked breakfast. Then it was time for our daily lecture.

I Hit the Target more than once this time !!!!!

As mentioned in a previous blog we learn rifle shooting and handling. After the breifing session with laetitia we went into the rifle target range at the back of camp. The aim of the target pactice was to hit a elephant brain case or the brain its self. We were given 3 targets at different distances. The furthest if hit correctly would kill the animal at a safe distance if it was charging you. If you misses it would make it very angry and charge faster. The 2nd target would still stopp it but you would still need to move out of its way.
The 3rd is your last chance. This time around I managed to hit the outer casing of the elephant and kill the elephant on the 2nd shot.

We then had a second target game where we wewre told that a lion appears from nowhere and we had one shot to lad the rifle aim and fire. I managed to kill the lion in 3.46 seconds, this if in real life would have saved my ar** and the rest of the group.

So all in all we had a pretty good monday and enjoyed the rifle shooting even more than the first.






Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



5th September 2008

where have you been
we all really miss the blog thought you must have been eaten hope you are well doing your bit looks fab, things with us are all change hardly anyone left from the old team. xmas cut over has come down you just worry where the next drink comes from.......talk soon bling
5th September 2008

where you been
hi...where u been,been waiting ages for the next blog lol...what took you.....you look really well, keep enjoying yourself love claire x
5th September 2008

Glad you are okay
Was just a tad worried but considered that you probably had to do some of the work that you are there to do........ sure am glad that you are okay and it is great getting your blogs. You are such a treat!!!! You look sooooo happy.
5th September 2008

Go Geoff!!
Really thought Jessica had got you!!! No doubt your having a fab time, you look really well. Think of us all here, we so aint having a fab time. Lol!! Hope you been getting the e.mails, just home from a late so will e.mail over the weekend. Take good care, miss ya loads. Carol. XXXXX

Tot: 0.311s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 68; dbt: 0.106s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb