What happens when the Combi wont go !!!!!!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Limpopo » Hoedspruit
August 20th 2008
Published: August 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 2 of the Kruger Trip

So up the next morning after a lots of drinks playing Blow Job and without a hangover (don't know how) quick breakfast and then pack to the Combi Van to go on to the Panorama Drive through the Drakensberg Mountains. So there we all were packed and ready to go and nothing. So after a couple of hours with many a know-it-all telling us what could be wrong a Car Mechanic turns up and takes the Combi away. So stranded in a remote lakeside lodge what do you do? yes you got it, go to the bar and Party. The Combi was returned to us by 2pm so it was to late to go on the Panorama Drive so we stayed at the lodge one more night.

The evening consisted of sitting round a large outdoor fire with good South African music and singing and a few Springbok chasers of course. Then off to bed in the hope of continuing the journey in the morning.

Day 3

Up and out by 8am and back in the Combi, this time the Combi wanted to play along and off we went. The journey to the start of the Panorama route took about an hour through beautiful hills of Green Pine Tree forest specially planted for wood for furniture etc as the Pine Tree is a quick growing tree whereas most south African trees are much slower.

First stop was to see the Mac Mac Falls which plunge 65m into the river below amongst some breath taking scenery. After the hike back to the car park we took time to look over some hand made African bric-a brac. Then off to the next natural beauty site on our route.

Gods window is a popular vantage point that is situated along the Blyde River Canyon and is 11 kilometers outside Graskop and is at an altitude of 1730 metres. At God's window cliffs plunge over 700 metres to the lowveld. On a clear day you can see Kruger Park to the right onto Mozambique. As you can tell from some of the pictures the view is amazing.

So dont Panic but yes I did Jump again

Next stop on this very hot and sunny day was to the Big Swing. So what do you do when you are faced with a 68 Metre free-fall jump into the Graskop gorge. Do it of course. This time unlike the cliff jump into the lagoon I was very very nervous. So what does any nervous person do ?? Yes thats right get someone else to do a tandem with you. So Sophie after a bit of talking into it join me on this mad jump. First was to get harnessed up which the guys will understand is not the most comfortable. Then we did a 135 metre highwire slide across the gorge.

After that we had to wait our turn to throw ourselves of the cliff. Every minute that went by waiting was a minute too long. Finally it was Sophie and me. So once bolted together side by side we were attached to the rope and asked to turn around facing away from the drop. (Yes your right I was going to jump of the cliff backwards) so inch by inch me and Sophie edged ourselves so only our toes were still on the platform, then with the instructor still holding the cord it was ............ OH MY GOD 3 to 4 seconds of free falling backward down the cliff until the cord was tight and then we were swung across the gorge for about 5 minutes until we were both lowered down to the gorge floor.

After about 5 minutes of trying to get our hearts back from the top of the gorge it was time to climb about 1000 steps back to the top. So as a Smoker this was more than hard work (Yes I know I need to stop) After reaching the top we all went over to the other side top claim our Free Shooter of Chilli Vodka and our Certificate. It was one of the best Adrenaline rushes so far, but will not repeat again (well there anyway)

After another short drive we arrived at the Bourke's Luck Potholes. This place was beautiful with waterfalls and rivers. A large bridge takes you over the Canyon and as you look down about 150 metres you can see the Potholes thousand of years of river flow has carved out of the rock. This is were we spent some time with our feet in the pools of ice cold water.

Our last stop was out of this world. We arrived at the Three Rondawels at about 5pm and was greeted with the most fantastic views over Graskop. The three Rondawels are named Mapjaneng, Maseroto & Mogoladikwe. A Rondawel is also the name of the round thatched huts that are everywhere in this region. Behind the Three Rondawels is the highest peak in the Drakensberg. The Mariepskop is 1944 metres high and below is the Blyde River Dam. The Dam is the third largest Dam in the world and is the Largest Green Canyon in the World.The Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve covers 22,664 hectares.

Here we took some amazing photo's of us sitting on Cliffs over the Canyon. Some I must admit were a bit scary to climb onto.

After about an hours drive we were back at camp ready to tell the rest of the group our stories of our trip that should have been 2 day but ended up 3.

Hope everyone at home is ok and will be forwarding on the next Blog that will tell you about the trip to the Blyde River Dam boat trip to see the view from the ground.



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



22nd August 2008

Your previous blog with all the photos of the wildlife were just breathtaking I liked photo 23 of the cheetahs en masse,in this blog you jumping was spectacular I do hope you are well, there seems to be a lot of fun to be had lucky you! best wishes love Angela.

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb