Help me !!!!!! They are making me enjoy myself


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Limpopo » Hoedspruit
August 9th 2008
Published: August 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So into week 3 and there is still no letting up on the fun and laughter that is making this trip so enjoyable.
Had a bit of a mad weekend, mainly involves a couple of drinks and Mel making me laugh so much my sides are now hurting.

Wednesday night must be the highlight for me so far. The camp was split into 2 groups and sent of into the bush to sleep in one of the hides within the reserve. Myself, Mel, Stuart, Suzanne & Nicola were sent to the Zebra hide which over looks a watering hole. Once settled in with our mattress and sleeping bags, we started to play a couple of games of card and a few beers on the sitting area of the hide when after about an hour the giggling started and from nowhere the loudest roar from the bush swamped our laughter into completed silence. We all looked at each other and quickly turn the torches off and sat in silence to try and work out how far the pack of lions where from our hide. 2 or 3 minutes later a even louder roar got nearer. Yes i suppose that if you are in the middle of the bush in the dark at sometime you would hear the noises of the wild animals that is South Africa, but not a pack of lions about 10 to 20 metres from you.

Once their noises quieten down we all went into the sleeping area and all got into our sleeping bags, this was about 11.30pm and then the roars started again but this time it seemed to be further back in the bush. Then we saw a set of car headlights getting nearer to us. Brass and Sugente had driven to us to see if we were ok as the lion roars were really loud from the camp itself too. They then went of to the other hide to make sure the other group were ok too. We all then got ourselves comfortable for the night. This is when you could hear a pin drop as 5 people were just lying there waiting for the next round of roars. As you can imagine there are quiet a lot of noises and weird sounds of the bush, every little bark or rustle made us jump up with "Whats that" or "Did you hear that" or "its getting closer". About 2.00am the sounds of the lions was at it max with us being able to hear them panting and breathing, they were even closer to us now and the fear factor was at it height. Then the what if the lions can get up the ladder to the hide thoughts started to enter some of the guys head (ok and mine too)

A couple of the guys by now were fast asleep. This is when myself and Suzanne herd the loudest roar and its was so amazing to hear something so deadly but so close. We both got the high visible torch out and scanned the bush for any movement. We both could not see anything but we both knew they were watching us.

About 5.30am I was awoken but another roar and as it was now daylight I sat on the deck of the hide watching the sunrise on yet another perfect day. The sounds of the bush goes crazy every sunrise with all the birds and small animals waking up in full song. One by one the rest of the team awoke and by 6.30am brass had arrived to pick us all up. To say sleeping in the bush with a pride of lions only metres away from you is a top moment in my life would not give it justice it was simply the most amazing night ever.

Once at camp the other team arrived back to hear the stories of their adventures too. The sounds of the lion were loud for them too and as a lions roar can be herd up to 8km away it seamed near to them as well.

Later that day we all came across loads of lion paw prints only a few metres from us that night. Then we spotted alot of jackals in the distance. We then walked nearer to them and came across the remains of a water buck that was now dinner to the jackals as the lions had eaten their catch and were now gone looking for their next meal, as in the bush every animal has its place in the restaurant called the bush, it was now their turn to eat today.As you will be able to see there was not much left of this animal. Just the 4 legs striped to the bone and just its hoof and a tiny bit of fur. Just to the right of these remains was a perfect hide of water buck fur left. The rest of the remains were just bone and not a ounce of meat.

Later that evening guests of the owners of the camp had left the camp to return home. About 2 minutes from the camp they came across a pack of 14 lions just minutes from the Zebra hide. So for the last couple of days the camp had been in the middle of their roaming area and we just had to sit and listen for more roars. I love it here, its not just being here to see the animals but this is also about being in the middle of their lives and us being privileged to being able to see hear and even smell the lions etc all round us.

So, if you spend a night out like that you know need to celebrate

Thursday night was party night, ok so was Friday night but lets just explain Thursday night. After the events of the lions a group of us went into town and were invited to a party for some friends of the guys out here. Lots of fun and games and shooters etc too.

Friday night is the normal party night for the camp in town, after a meal in one of the restaurants called sleepers we all then meet up in the Fort for drinks and dancing. As you all know I'm a bit shy so i watched from the distance (Yer right) I of course was in the middle of the group with Mel really enjoying the evening as usual.

Today Saturday is chill out day for the camp most of the team are suffering or just no more energy to carry on.

Thanks for all the messages you all have sent me over the last couple of weeks. Its nice to know that you are enjoying them as much as me enjoying writing them, it actually makes me think about what i have been doing.




Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

In the Garden In the Garden
In the Garden

Me,Bee,Adele,Jason & Brass
Party GirlsParty Girls
Party Girls

Bee, Mel & Adele


10th August 2008

You haven't changed a bit!
Amazing! It is if I spent time with you just yesterday! Continue to enjoy every moment. You wont get it back! Make memories! Can't wait to see you at the end of your journey! Love ya!
10th August 2008

party animal
No change to you being a party animal! You make our previous nights out seem quite tame. Just love your photos and reading about your adventures. Looks like you're having the time of your life...keep having fun xxx
10th August 2008

What a great lot of pictures
Hi Honey what a great time you continue to have yes the lions can climb up and got in bed with you but we know they didnt coz your still here to tell more wonderful stories it all looks like great fun wish we were there but as I cant run very fast I wouldnt be any good. The Yorkies are playing at being lions and growling at each other. take care love and big Hugs Sandie and Kerry xxx
12th August 2008

Well no change with you enjoying yourself then!!! It all looks so much fun, Life in Purley must seem so long ago and sooooo far away, keep on sending those fantastic photographs and your stories.Those lions are amazing what ferocious animals they are. Take care of you love Angela

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb