Day 2 and what a week it has been already...


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Durban
June 14th 2012
Published: June 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It is only Day 2 but it feels like we've been here a week. We've been warmly welcomed and learnt so much about South Africa; the significant social challenges, the great opportunities that exist, and the wonderful work World Changers Academy and their partners are doing to solve the many and varied social challenges such as AIDS/HIV, Poverty and social inequality, Teenage pregnancy etc that plague the country.

The great discovery has been the thriving entrepreneurial community in Durban. Today we visited Darlene Menzies of The Development House - a software and economic development house, who was kind enough to take us through the business philospohy that has made her one of South Africa's most successful businesswomen - what she terms 'compassionate capitalism'.

Darlene defines Innovation as 'the ability to see what people see and think differently'. She believes humanitarians have no business running social enterprises, but that enterprises should be led by business people committed to social change.

It's only the second day out here but the team believe it would be tough to top Darlene's Business Masterclass. We'll have to wait and see.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0715s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb