Cape Town!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Durban
March 2nd 2006
Published: March 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

So its been 5 weeks now. Crazy. I would say its gone by soooo fast, and in reality it has, but this past week, it has started to slow down a bit, and I think I'm reaching that phase where I start to miss home for a bit. Its been pretty amusing actually, when I'm around people I want to do my own thing, but when I'm alone I crave interaction. I really can't seem to please my pysche these days, so I'll just keep moving along!
Before I delve into Capetown, I'll say a few brief things about everything else. School is going well, starting to get quite busy these days. I have about one more week, and then I'll be into it hardcore. The best part has been that my professors are INCREDIBLE. Every time I go to class I leave incredibly inspired, something I haven't often experienced in the classroom. Being at a smaller school like mine, in a distinct program, they are really in it for the students, which has been great.
Driving is well, hilarious. At least I'm getting there slowly but surely. God help me when I dont have someone sitting next to me telling me what to do. I don't have too much trouble, but for the life of me I can never remember how to start the stupid car, all that clutch stuff. I've started searching for cars a bit, and Brad and I are thinking of possibly sharing one. We'll see
Random side note: Durban is insect ridden. I have become best friends with the bug spray. Particularly appealing are the flying cochroaches, which fly into your house and then stay. I think I've had about 3 heartattacks upon seeing them here. I have at times sprayed down our entire flat with insect spray trying to get ride of the stupid buggers. Well, if thats the worse I face, I think I'll survive.
CAPETOWN: Capetown is STUNNING. Good lord Talea, I dont' know how you ever dragged yourself away. The city is built between Table Mountain and the Ocean, and you couldn't imagine a prettier location. We arrived on Friday, took a hike to Lion's Head and had dinner all together at a Rotarians home. The food was great, the company was better. It was awesome to meet all of the other scholars around South Africa, and everyone got along great. We are now all planning to take trips around the country to meet up with each other. Over the course of the weekend we had orientation at a yacht club, went to see an African dance show, we out dancing at the Capetown clubs, went dragon boat racing, and took in a concert at an outdoor amphitheatre in Kirstenbosch. Oh, a wine tour as well. Needless to say, they kept us busy. I was so completely in love with Capetown scenery wise, but it was a very different experience from Durban. Most of SA's white south africans reside in Capetown, giving it a very eurocentric feel. I felt like, had I been living there, I might never really see what real SA is like.
I have included tons of pictures for all of you to look at.
I always have lots to say and can never remember when I come to type, so I'll end this for now and add more later.
Hope all is well!
Love,
Lauren

Advertisement



6th March 2006

You don't know me, but I just want to comment. Cape Town is also the real South Africa. Enjoy Durban, but try and get to as many different areas in South Africa as possible, and mix with as many different cultures as possible, including small town and city folk. It truly is a rainbow nation. We are also still a very new democracy, and have a lot to learn, but I think we are getting there, perhaps a little slowly. You seem very open to new experiences, which is really great. I hope you have a really great year.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0753s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb