Last day in S. Africa!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Durban
May 20th 2007
Published: May 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On Saturday morning I left for Durban, somewhat unenthusiastically given the negative reviews I’d gotten from people. I actually really ended up liking it. It felt a lot like Cape Town but with a Miami twist—there were palm trees everywhere and a really nice, long beach lined with pastel-colored hotels. I happened to be there on the day of some huge rugby match so all the cars were honking and flying the flag of whatever team they supported (Sharks for the Natal region, Bulls for everyone else). I spent some more time on the beach 😊 and walked around the downtown area, which was really lovely. They have a beautiful town hall building that was milling with people. I was advised not to walk anywhere alone after dark, so I ended up eating at a place right around my hostel (Gibela), on Florida Rd. which is supposed to be a sort of main drag. It was pretty quiet considering it was a Saturday night on a big rugby day, but the Sharks had lost so maybe everyone was a little down! I ate at a Thai place that had pretty decent if unexciting food and amazing service, and then per the Gibela owner’s advice had to take a cab home! I felt pretty ridiculous asking the cabbie to take me only 2 blocks away but he concurred that it was not a safe walk. It was a little disappointing not to be able to stroll around—the weather was PERFECT—but I had to be up around 5 for my flight to Malawi the next morning anyway.

All in all I was shocked at Durban’s bad rap, it’s a lovely city and at this time of year the weather is really pleasant. It’s definitely a place I would go back to.

Love,

Martina


Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb