Montecasino Bird Park


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
November 11th 2010
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Chicken01 Chicken01 Chicken

Some type of chicken.
Geo: -26.1538, 28.0389

This afternoon Paul, Jen and I went to the Montecasino Bird Park. I'm not that interested in birds and didn't know what to expect. When we arrived we choose to go through the Lorikeet Aviary first. In here there were lots of friendly lorikeets that we could feed nectar to. The birds would sit on our hands and eat the nectar. It was a bit ticklish when they stood on my head. One of them even licked sweat from my forehead! This was such a weird feeling! These birds were so colourful.

After the Lorikeet Aviary we came across some of the larger birds here; storks, flamingos, pelicans and cranes. It was now 3pm so we headed to the amphitheatre for the Flight of Fantasy Show. During the next half hour we were entertained with various birds showing us their talents. It was quite entertaining and enjoyable. During this show I met the ugliest bird I have even seen – a Marabou Stork. This bird was hit hard with the ugly stick.

After the show we continued walking around. Our next place to visit was the Parrot Gallery. The birds here are free to roam around. These species are so
02 Lorikeet02 Lorikeet02 Lorikeet

Paul feeding a lorikeet some sugar water.
brightly coloured. I was surprised to come across some Australian birds – a cockatoo and a galah – this made my day.

We saw a pair of old tortoises trying to mate. The female didn't seem interested as she was walking away. On our way to the Walk Through Aviary we observed some meerkats. They are so entertaining to watch.

The Walk Through Aviary was huge and we spent a lot of time in here identifying the many bird species freely flying about. On our way out there was a toucan enclosure. These birds have such amazing coloured beaks. In the end we spent about two and a half hours here and we all enjoyed our visit.

This evening we had a walk around the casino. We met up again with Kath and her friend for dinner.



Additional photos below
Photos: 74, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

03 Lorikeets03 Lorikeets
03 Lorikeets

It was then my turn to feed the lorikeets.
04 Kissing04 Kissing
04 Kissing

Paul kissing a lorikeet.
05 Licking 05 Licking
05 Licking

The lorikeet licking the salt from my forehead.
06 Scratchy06 Scratchy
06 Scratchy

A lorikeet scratching my scalp with its claws.
07 Colourful07 Colourful
07 Colourful

A very colourful lorikeet.
08 Pair 08 Pair
08 Pair

A pair of pelicans.
09 Pelican09 Pelican
09 Pelican

A pelican - not white like the ones I had seen before.
10 Pelicans10 Pelicans
10 Pelicans

Pelicans with black and white feathers.
11 Warning11 Warning
11 Warning

A warning to help keep us safe from the dangerous birds.
12 National Bird12 National Bird
12 National Bird

The Blue Crane is South Africa's national bird.
13 Ivy13 Ivy
13 Ivy

Ivy all over the tower - Italian themed.
14 Hornbill14 Hornbill
14 Hornbill

A Northern Ground Hornbill.
15 Pair 15 Pair
15 Pair

A pair of macaws- these two birds were part of the bird show.
16 Crane16 Crane
16 Crane

The Blue Crane was also part of the bird show.
17  Landing17  Landing
17 Landing

A White Backed Vulture landing on command from its trainer.
18 Treat18 Treat
18 Treat

The vulture getting a treat from its trainer for do its performance.
19 Toucan19 Toucan
19 Toucan

A very colourful toucan.
20 Sunset Beak20 Sunset Beak
20 Sunset Beak

The colours of the beak remind me of a sunset.
21 Hornbill21 Hornbill
21 Hornbill

The Northern Ground Hornbill after performing for the audience.


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb