Off to the Dark Continent... part 2


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
August 15th 2013
Published: September 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

IMG_0079IMG_0079IMG_0079

Leaving Sydney
A quick 2 hour turn around in Sydney wouldn't be complete without an episode with the security guards. For some reason unbeknownst to us, and never divulged, the camera bag was scanned and held as a suspect. As we stood waiting, we watched the clock with growing angst, wondering why nobody was actually searching the bag, but instead it sat on the sidelines whilst every other passenger in line behind us had their luggage screened and cleared.

Eventually Mark asked if we could take it, and from a bit of miscommunication, reached over the glass to retrieve it. This, although probably not the safest option, was the right thing to do! Our camera was scanned again and then handed back to us.

Qantas food and service, by the way, is brilliant! We were kept well fed for the whole flight, with two main meals and 3 snacks distributed over the 14 hour journey. The flight was awesome which pretty much clear skies the whole way, and the flight attendant doubling as a tour guide, informing us when we were flying over the Antarctic ice.

A few hours of sleep and who knows how many movies later, a distant Durban beach welcomed us to South Africa... we were finally here.

Of course, being the responsible party we are, as soon as we landed in Johannesburg, we bought some biltong 😊 and THEN called the taxi. We are staying in Johannesburg for the night and flying to George in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

IMG_0104IMG_0104
IMG_0104

The long haul
IMG_0109IMG_0109
IMG_0109

Kwa Zulu Natal coastline


Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb