eat, work, sleep


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
December 21st 2011
Published: December 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

highlights of the latest 24hr shift:

- watching a young boy come out of ketamine sedation and be high as a kite

- wresteling an unconcious person out of a wheen chair and onto a bed, then stopping their arterial bleed

- giving a 50yo lady 32 sutures while chatting about life and having her be so comfortable that she fell asleep

pitfalls of the latest 24hr shift:

- not placing a urinary catheter in an unconcious patient in time and suffering the devastating consiquences of getting pissed on

- eventualy finding my delerious patient in another ward eating a plate of food he stole from another patient and then getting told off by the nurses of that ward for "telling my patient he could come and eat there" and that "he couldnt go and have his urgent CTBrain until he returned his plate"

- having to wait 3hrs for suture kits to become avaliable



since then I have slept alot,



we have eaten at Mr B's twice.

it is the worlds greatest take away store and we are making it a manditory stop after long shifts.

it is located just arround the corner from the Spar in mondeor.

they offer an imaginarium of fatty delicious foods with the obvious star being "the bomb special"; half a loaf of bread hollowed out and filled with a beef patty, chips, sausages, salami, more chips, covered in grilled cheese and you choice of fourty sauces or combinations there of.

today we went conservative and just had a double grilled barbeque ribs burger with extra cheese and chips, and a diet coke each.

we also ate last night at a portuguese place in the glen shopping centres, jophanesburg is a city of confusingly large shopping centres. i had muscles in garlic and butter with a hansa beer. hansa beer is my favorite mainstay beer from south africa so far, followed by castle. for mains i had a botle of south african blended alto red with a large serve of sticky oxtail and rice. this whole meal cost less than $30 including drinks.



today andrew and i blitzed ward work. we took out inter costal drain and mediastinal drains unsupervised. Did ABG's and femoral stabs and i got a patient some juice.

time for a nap

so long,

harry fitzpatric

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb