J&G blog 1 Africa #1


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
April 20th 2011
Published: April 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Route from Joburg to Mashatu


Home in JoburgHome in JoburgHome in Joburg

'Granny's House' was our home in Johannesburg. Set on a large property, lovely gardens, relaxing pool area, leafy suburb, good security.
Our arrival and introduction to Johannesburg was far less scary than the travel advisories portrayed. Though the security in the posh suburb of Oaklands, where we stayed, has to be seen to be believed - from an Aussie perspective. We've opted to do minimal text and just label photos - more detail at home for those who are interested. We have so many great photos (in our opinion) so I'll do this in stages so that no entry is too large. What I must say before changing over to visuals - what a country of contrasts - luxury & opulence - slums & poverty - broad arid scrublands - lush forests with towering trees - spectacular mountains - amazing animals. Hope you enjoy the blog - don't forget to add a comment or message at the bottom. They are sent to me for approval then are published with blog for others to see as well. The long delay in blog#1 has been due to very poor WiFi download times at Cape Town and no access Joburg & Botswanna.
Important for photo viewing Click on first photo to view all larger, then use down arrow to read full caption and right arrow
Security AccessSecurity AccessSecurity Access

The front gate to "Granny's Cottage" was typical of most in the country - auto open like we have for garage doors. Makes it harder to be mugged at your front gate.
to progress and to return to blog. Garry & Jan



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Luxurious FortressesLuxurious Fortresses
Luxurious Fortresses

A nearby beautiful property with high end security. We passed so many beautiful security gates on our walks from our B&B to the nearby home of our hosts. ie. Parents of the bride who organised Mashatu.
No Buggy No Cart = CaddyNo Buggy No Cart = Caddy
No Buggy No Cart = Caddy

My caddy 'Edward?' Probably a refugee from the north. Gave distances to pin, club suggestions - and on the greens he was a legend - pace and break - sank two 8 metre putts when I managed to follow his directions.
The WeddingThe Wedding
The Wedding

The couple who we have to thank for going to Africa. Claire & Pat - their wedding was in a superb garden estate that the photos don't do justice to. Perfect weather and a lavish reception at the same estate.
The Wedding VenueThe Wedding Venue
The Wedding Venue

A view from the 'high ground' of about 20% of the estate's lawn/garden area. The owner, who was related to the bride's parents, made a hobby of building with sandstone. Creative, awesome!
Crossing the Limpopo RiverCrossing the Limpopo River
Crossing the Limpopo River

The road to Botswanna ends at the Limpopo. With so much water flowing we had to ferry our luggage & selves across in large metal 'baskets' before going through immigration in a little tin shed.
Transport to MashatuTransport to Mashatu
Transport to Mashatu

17 people from the wedding party were about to start a special adventure - oh, and this was the Honeymoon for the bride and groom. Transport to the camp was by open 4WD truck.
Buffet 'High Tea'Buffet 'High Tea'
Buffet 'High Tea'

No time to unpack - the 8 hour journey meant 4pm arrival - lovely spread of open face sandwiches and slices, fruit etc then hurried out to the 'safari'/animal drive vehicles.
Traditional BomaTraditional Boma
Traditional Boma

The open sided day dining area (Boma) was dim, shaded and reflected the craft, art and culture of our new hosts. All of the staff were locals of Botswanna - warm, good humoured and very polite.
First Animal DriveFirst Animal Drive
First Animal Drive

Within 40 minutes of arrival at Mashatu we were into our open 4WD's. The 3 rows of seats are tiered so you get good views from each row. The driver/ranger and spotter of each vehicle were also expert trackers and named all local birds & beasts without hesitation. The high powered rifles mounted on the front of each vehicle were reassuring but never needed (just).
Maze of TracksMaze of Tracks
Maze of Tracks

Imagine 100sq km or more of both flat & hilly land criss crossed by a maze of rough tracks. This allowed 'easy' access to all parts of the region, then it was off road if necessary to spot 'game'. That high powered rifle perched up front was reassuring, but not used (just).
Giraffe at SunsetGiraffe at Sunset
Giraffe at Sunset

After seeing the very common impala (lion lunch), some wildebeest and a hyena, our first major stop was with a herd of grazing giraffe. Made for good photography in the low evening sun.
Sunset DrinksSunset Drinks
Sunset Drinks

During the evening drive we always stopped on a high vantage point to watch the sun set over this amazing landscape. The darkness brought on spotlighting and some surprises. Next blog.


22nd April 2011
Sunset Drinks

The first part of your trip looks amazing. Look forward to hearing the stories in between each photo. Continue your wonderful adventure!
22nd April 2011
Sunset Drinks

Great!
Outstanding first blog! Will look forward to many more from this memorable trip.
26th April 2011
No Buggy No Cart = Caddy

the golfer please stand up
Maybe Garry should carry Edward's bag?!
26th April 2011
Crossing the Limpopo River

where are we Mike?
Dr Livingston I presume?
26th April 2011
Buffet 'High Tea'

da menu?
and the oysters are.................where?
27th April 2011
No Buggy No Cart = Caddy

Edward
Can you smuggle Edward back to OZ so that he can give me some tips on my putting?
1st May 2011
Sunset Drinks

Wow
Love your first lot of photos - can't wait to hear details when you return.
5th May 2011

wow
It all looks just so exciting. How are you coping Jan. Hopefully it is not as bad as you feared because it certainly will be a memorable experience. Love the photos. Unfortunately the sunset one didn't show. Have fun. Love C
18th May 2011
Home in Joburg

Great Photos!
Hi Garry and Jan After reading your last email re your travel blog I thought I should go back and comment so that you know I am following your travels with much interest. Have not ventured to Africa yet, so am very interested in your photos and comments.Such an amazing place! Would love to hear more about it on your return. Best wishes, Heather.

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 34; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb