TWISTING THE NIGHT AWAY


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
June 16th 2010
Published: June 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 15th June
Breakfast at DKW is like a League of Nations convention. There are the Boys from Brazil, Argentineans, English and Germans. Everything is very civilised and we all wish each other good luck, through gritted teeth.
A dose of culture today. We took a drive into Pretoria and visited the Voortrekker Monument which is the biggest Monument in Africa. This monument was designed to commemorate the Vortrekkers , who were a large group of the forefathers of the Afrikaner people who demonstrated their discontent with the British authorities in the Cape by leaving the colony permanently. They travelled deep into the interior of Southern Africa between 1834 -54. This was known as The Great Trek. O.K history lesson over.
Later in the day we went to a Fan Fest and watched the match between New Zealand and Slovakia. The Fan Fest’s are so cool. A couple of giant screens, live entertainment and plenty of security. Great if you don’t have match tickets.
In the evening we went to a party in downtown Jo’Burg with Andy and Dag, a couple we met on holiday in Mauritius last year. Jo’Burg rocks. We partied into the early hours and had a visit from the jaegermaster girls, who gave out shots, caps and t-shirts. This part of Jo’Burg is very smart and buzzy. We stayed the night at Andy and Dag’s palatial home, high on a hill overlooking Jo’Burg. The views from their house were breathtaking. Their house cost 5,000,000 rand approx £500,000.00 and comes complete with an indoor pool, games room and gym. In fact the house was so big Dag was not sure how many rooms it had.
Boy we will have a hangover tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 60; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb