48 hours and not a wink to be found.


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
June 9th 2010
Published: June 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Kia ora from Jo-Burg!

We touched down in Africa yesterday morning, and man was it a long trip!

It started in interesting terms. We found out Chris wasn't sitting with myself and Steve due to a booking cock up from Auckland - Singapore. However the 3 of us were all able to get the vertical spoon on between Singapore Jo-Burg. This was then backed up by the realisation that we had 7 hours (not the 2 hours I was so proud of!!) A quick stop of the travel exchange shop and we thought; "stuff it, let's go for a quick scope".

Once we managed to get ourselves onto the plan it was all good, a quick stop in Auckland enabled us to secure ourselves some dunkin donuts, that didn't last until Singapore. Upon arrival in Singapore we immigrated for 7 hours, got in a cab, and hit the town. We got into the CBD by 7ish and we had a 2 hour window to do some shopping. Due to the over sized nature of my carry on luggage I nearly managed to knock over an entire row of shelves!!! But the wobbling never broke the equilibrium. After a bunch of wondering around we found ourselves uninspired, and hungry. A quick feed in a dodgy little back ally restaurant was in order. Do you remember that quick stop at the foreign exchange shop? Well that yielded 80 Singapore dollars. After the taxi, some minor purchases, and dinner we were down to 10! It started to become a bit interesting here as we were running out of time to catch the train back, and we didn't know if 10 would be enough to get back! Sure enough we got one of the last trains back to the airport with 2 to spare!!!

Singapore then yielded some interesting times. Upon entering through security we had about 4 hours to kill and a very bouncy stress ball in a large area of space to kill it in. Sure enough a game of cricket ensued, my shoe + stress ball + rubbish bin = WIN! The best part had to be the amount of spectators we had. The Singaporean workers were all interested and smiling as we frequently ran sheepishly into the luxury shops that made up the boundary. But then the Indians arrived. Soon enough there was about 8 of us all playing. Moment of the day was a brilliant covered drive by Boyd, followed by the sock departing from the bat, and flying into a fielders face. That my friends is a new maximum!

The flight to Jo-Burg was all about the sleep. However it was never more than an hour, and was normally finished by a good stretch session in the aisle! We got into JoBurg jaded and ready for sleep, however it was 7am, and we soldiered on until 7pmish when we finally gave ourselves permission to crash.

There's a few more "first day" stories to tell, but we're running out of time!

We'll be in touch,

Rich, Steve, and Tricky (Chris).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb