Central Joburg . . .


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
November 2nd 2008
Published: November 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Celebrate!Celebrate!Celebrate!

The dance in celebration of the new way in South Africa.
Today I did a Johannesburg city tour. Again Michael was my guide. The tour focused on Central Joburg, the sites and areas within it.

We first drove through Hillbrow. It had been one of the most beautiful areas to live in. During apartheid, many wealthy whites lived there. It later became one of the first areas in the country where both blacks and whites could live. Soon the white people began to leave. Now, it is one of the worst areas in the city with an earned reputation of crime. Not a safe area to go exploring on your own.

Many places throughout central Joburg are like ghost towns. Countless buildings, businesses, even large hotels ave been abandoned, moved to the suburbs.

I think it strange . . . During apartheid the city belonged to the whites and the blacks lived in outer townships. Now, when by law all can live together anywhere, there’s still a great divide. Ciy central is all black. I did not see ONE other white person downtown today. The whites all live in surrounding suburbs. Which are then surrounded by the townships. I don’t know what to make of it.

We made a stop in Hillbrow at Constitution Hill. Originally, there had been a prison there and you an visit the old cells. Many people spent time there, including anti-apartheid leaders (political prisoners). Interestingly, Mandela was not taken there. It was feared that he would inspire the other prisoners. Instead, he was held at the hospital. His holders secretly hoped he’d escape which would give them cause to kill him. Of course, he did not.

Also there, is Constitutional Court, the country’s supreme court, that rules on constitutional and human-rights matters. It’s an impressive and symbolic building. The court itself was windows so those outside can see it - a big change from the apartheid-era courthouse where everything was secret.

Next we went to Mary Fitzgerald Square - a big open space used for various events and festivals. Off of it is the Market Theatre, where we stopped for some into on shows. I might see one before I leave the city. Then, it was Museum Africa, housed in the big old fruit market building. We spent some time walking around the museum’s various exhibits.

Then we rode to the “Top of Africa” - the 50th floor of the
Inside The Constitutional Court BuildingInside The Constitutional Court BuildingInside The Constitutional Court Building

Meant to capture the African’s ancestors’ ways of solving problems. They would gather under a tree (the ceiling looks like leaves and branches) and sit on benches (like there) and with the elders, sort problems.
Carlton Centre (shops, restaurants and offices). From there you can see the entire city sprawling out in every direction, right out to the townships in the distance. A very impressive view.

And for a final stop, Michael too me to the Bruma Market, a large market area selling lots of crafts and lots of kitsch. I picked up a doll for my collection and some lunch but generally resisted everything else. I have a long trip ahead of me to carry things around!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

A Space in Honour of Nelson Mandela Who Delivered His Famous Speech HereA Space in Honour of Nelson Mandela Who Delivered His Famous Speech Here
A Space in Honour of Nelson Mandela Who Delivered His Famous Speech Here

"It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die.” First said at the Rivonia (Treason) Trial
Museum AfricaMuseum Africa
Museum Africa

In the old fruit market building
East View - Top of AfricaEast View - Top of Africa
East View - Top of Africa

This area, about 2/3 of the way up the photo, is where my hostel is located
North View - Top of AfricaNorth View - Top of Africa
North View - Top of Africa

Downtown & High Rises
South Western View - Top of AfricaSouth Western View - Top of Africa
South Western View - Top of Africa

Soweto is in the distance (which you can see in the tower, but is difficult in the photo)
Southern View - Top of AfricaSouthern View - Top of Africa
Southern View - Top of Africa

Suburbs in the distance


2nd November 2008

The confusion you feel is very normal, I think, and one that everyone who has travelled to S. Africa feels. I will be interested to see if you make peace with that feeling before you come home...That feeling still resonates with me. The frustration you felt in your last post (re: apathetic voters in Canada) is also very true. We are so spoiled, and many of us take it for granted. Lots of hugs! xo

Tot: 0.36s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 29; qc: 139; dbt: 0.1858s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb