Jo'burg then on to Mozambique!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
August 12th 2007
Published: August 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone! Sorry it has been so long since i last updated this, but the internet has been scarce and then the site was down- as I am sure you all know!

Thanks to all of those that helped find my entries! There was no way I was going to be able to do that from here! I truely appreciate it!

So here is the update....

I think the last time I updated this I was in Swokopmund.... MAn that was ages ago!


From Swokopmund we headed north to Windhoek where we enjoyed some down time in the city and met up with our new group of people who then traveled up to Zambia with us. We had a full truck of 18- man that was a tight squeeze! We had 6 Americans- Marney and Steve, Christine and Kyle, Jessica and Joycelen and 2 Canadians Peter and Kirsten and Arron from either Zurick or New York depending on if he wanted to be known as US or Swiss.

Melissa and Erin and Kathrin stayed on this part of tour too- which was awesome! The 5 of us had a blast together!

From Windhoek it was off to the Okavango delta where I took a senic flight over the delta and saw some awesome landscape and animals. Then it was two nights of wilderness camping in the delta. We reached an island in the delta by taking Mokoro's (dug out canoes from the Sausage Tree) for a two hour paddle. Local Botswanan's poled the Mokors for us and also took us on guided walks through the bush.

Both mornings we could hear herds of Zebra around our tents who had come to the water to get a refreshing drink. It was surreal!!!

Also in Botswana we did a walk with the local San Bushman. They are a traditional people who are trying desperately to keep their traditional way of life. It was the most amazing experience so far! It was like walking and talking to people straight out of the national geographic!

Then on to Zambia! It was such a different place! You could really tell how poor Zambia was in comparrison to the other countries we had been in. We headed stright to Victoria falls which were breath taking! I have not been to Niagra but this was stunning!

The
Water CanteenWater CanteenWater Canteen

San bushman drinking water out of an Ostritch egg
next day Marnie and I and alot of the rest of the group went to a Lion encounter and Conservation park. It was wicked! I actually got to pet real lions! They were 11 month old cubs and were begning to grow their manes already!

From there we did an elephant ride and then on to Vic Falls from the Zimbabwae side. Unfortunately Marnie and I had over spent our money and didnt have enough toget into the falls but Cassidy showed up and walked with us back into Zambia. We actually saw a guy bunjee from the bridge as we were crossing it! No way in hell I will be jumping froma bridge anytime soon! I am a chicken!

Then Marnie and I had to say good-bye to the rest of the Ninja 5 (dont ask!) Erin. Melissa and Kathrin were done their tours and it was a tearful good-bye. Who would have thought that 21 days would bring people that close???? I miss them much!!!!

Then new people joined- We have Sarah and Stephanie from Canada, Boris from Switzerland (Cant seem to shake the swiss yet 😊 ) jack and vince from Ireland and Kevin and Kim from Canada too.

We have already gone through Botswana... not much to tell on that... Seen it already on the way North and nothing exciting happened on this leg either.

So Fianally I am here in Jo'burg and getting ready to go on a Township tour of Sewato and a city drive of Jo'burg.

Tomorrow night we will have to say good-bye to again and then more new people to meet. From here we head into Mozambique- nice beaches and tons to see!

Love you all and talk to you soon!


Stay well & Happy travels!
Erin


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Look Way Down!Look Way Down!
Look Way Down!

Giraffe crossing the Delta
Mokoro'sMokoro's
Mokoro's

Mokoro boats that we took into the Delta
Soaked but alive!Soaked but alive!
Soaked but alive!

this is me absolutely soaking wet from the Mokoro ride to the detla.
Chomp!Chomp!
Chomp!

Hippo in the Okavango Delta
me and a lion!me and a lion!
me and a lion!

This is in Zimbabwe. We went to a lion encoutner/ conservation reserve for Lions and got to touch and walk with them
Me and an ElephantMe and an Elephant
Me and an Elephant

Me and Mana our elephant
The Ninja 5!!!The Ninja 5!!!
The Ninja 5!!!

l-r top- Me & Kathrin l-r bottom- Erin, Melissa & Marnie Taken by Peter the amazing Canadian


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb