Alexandra Township


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
February 11th 2007
Published: February 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We have been going into one of the townships for the last 7 weeks on Sundays, helping with devotional meetings, firesides, youth classes and some newly started Ruhi classes. These regular trips into Alexandra Township have been quite an experience for us. It has taken time for the people there to trust us but that appears to have improved a great deal simply by being there every weekend and the fact that even with a Dutch last name, they have learned that we are American and not Afrikaans. There have been some wonderful photo opportunities here, but we have not wanted to create distrust by bringing a camera into the settlement. We have been talking to a couple of people about how to go about taking some pictures and several people, with more experience, have offered us some suggestions. It may be we can give you a feel for the place with some images in the not to distant future.

Yesterday we had a celebration with prayers, music, dance, poetry and a play, much of it by the youth of Alex. The Wits University Bahá’í Society performed a step-dance, which everyone enjoyed.

We continue to pray for expanded capacities, not because of the people who are wonderful and quite open, but because of the environment they live in and the fact that the people of Alexandra don't quite know what to make of whites that come into their township.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0166s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb