...and now the car is sick


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
November 1st 2006
Published: November 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Bob is feeling better. This morning we ate at the Mugg and Bean, which is a chain that offers coffee, bakery goods and meals, and is found all over South Africa. It is one of the few places that serves what we regard as coffee. South African coffee is usually a mixture of chicory and coffee. We enjoy the place, and I usually order their On The Go Breakfast, which is good and cheap. Interestingly, their American Breakfast includes eggs, bacon (similar to Canadian bacon or thinly sliced ham), a grilled tomato and mushroom, and Boston baked beans. That’s right, Boston baked beans. Those are American, right? And we always have grilled mushrooms and tomatoes with our breakfast, right?

We checked email quickly at Postnet, which is another chain found all over South Africa that charges about a rand a minute for internet access. Internet cafes where one can use a laptop with wifi are sparse here, and it’s safer not to be hauling the computer around anyway. We got groceries and headed back to the Centre. We don’t have a refrigerator or stove, but we have an electric kettle to heat water, so we replenished our store of bread, fruit, and cellphone airtime and picked up some instant soups to try. Still had enough peanut butter, another staple. We usually eat lightly here and maybe have one real meal a day.

In the afternoon, we prepared to go to an acupuncturist that Karin and Iraj recommended for my skin problems, but the car wouldn’t start. Battery is fine, gas is getting there, but there is no spark. And the immobilizer system (level four alarm system) is not working properly, so it is probably an electrical problem. I rescheduled the appointment for Monday afternoon, and we called the dealership in Pietermaritzburg - we are still in the 30-day warranty period. Tomorrow we will have it towed to a nearby Toyota dealership for repair; we’ve had the car less than a week.

In the evening we went through the housing ads in the paper again, hoping to be able to hunt for a place to live soon.


Advertisement



4th November 2006

It's life
I love reading the blog. Sounds as if there are lots of joy and also technical problems. Bob, hope you are well soon. Have you decided where you want to "land" How can you be looking for houses? The blog is a great thing. xxoo, Alice
4th November 2006

WOW !
When we first met you sere just coming to Champaign to "scope" it out I guess I can say. You stayed with a young lady who lived next door to me on Blackthorn Dr. in the condos. Just a reminder. My life is not that different than it was although I now live in Murphysboro, IL. (southern -SIU) Reading about your new adventures is really a treat! Praying that your circumstances improve with Bob getting better and your car also. Looking forwaard to reading more. JAN M

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0939s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb