Into the mountains...


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape
October 29th 2007
Published: October 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So.... to fill you in x. The lion cubs were awesome, was able to spend at least half an hour in the enclosure with them, playing with them and stroking them. Thought they were the cutest things ever, until I found out that they had ticks. Needless to say those of you who really know me well can easily envisage the following few nights in which constant tick checks were managed including pulling what i believe now to be a mole out with tweasers!!!! Oh well best to be safe than sorry! After leaving Port Elizabeth after staying there much longer than intended we headed East to Durban x . Due to the alteration of time spent in PE it meant we had to do the 15 hour bus journey all the way to Durban in one day. Not nice at all. However travelling by bus does allow you to see a lot more than travelling by train or plane. I cannot describe to you the difference between the Western and Eastern Capes of South Africa. People in Western SA describe the other parts of SA as less sophisticated, but I would have to disagree. Tts not that they are less sophisticated, I believe its just that they have less. We travelled away from the coast and into the mountainous areas of Mthata. The road seemed endless with nothing but desert land on either side, then after a couple of hours you would come across rural townships. People living in what can only be described as tin huts. They had made small gardens for themselves out of what ever they could find and I cant remember how many children we saw walking to school for miles or women carrying various things on their head for equal distances. The most striking thing however of all the rural townships was the colour of their clothes x. I dont know whether they are using Ariel or Persil but these people despite the fact that I was covered in dust, dirt and grime got their whites, WHITE! The proudness they displayed in their school uniform was truly amazing and something unfortunately not mirrored at home. So after a quick one night stop in Durban at a very fun factory converted hostel we jumped back onto the bus and took a short (5 hour) journey to Drakensburg mountain, specificallty to Central berg. The bus dropped us off in the middle of nowhere telling us to wait for our shuttle bus from the hostel to pick us up...so wait we did. and did. and did. I forgot we are on Africa time! Finally a lovely little man, who I thought introduced himself as Merlin (later to find out his name was Mervin but he didnt seem to mind his new name) picked us up and drove us to the hostel. I was expecting the same sort of hostel as previously stayed in. Oh no, for those of you travelling now check out Inkosana Lodge. It was set at the bottom of Cathedral Peak and was like being in your grandma's home. Warm, cosy and so friendly. They couldnt have done anymore for you. We were driven to the various walks and collected free of charge, but even better when i mentioned i'd like to watch the rugby (England V Australia) they arranged it for us to watch it at the local 5* hotel, to include a meal and collection when WE were ready! The peaks of the Drakensburg are amazing, they reminded me slightly of North Wales though on a grander scale. Although our weather was a bit rubbish, our time there was lovely. Almost at the end of our South Africa time now, we took our last Bazbus trip up to Johannesburg. Again we travelled down one straight road for hours with nothing either side, until in the distance, out of the dust you could see tower blocks and buildings. Jo'burg is the only major city in the world to be built where there is no natural water source. Factoid of the day. x I have to admit i was a little cautious of Jo'burg with all its negative media, though i have to say i found it ok. We were there specifically to catch our overland tour, though we did venture out and around a bit. Strangely enough we managed to find the only shopping centre again which sold Ralph Lauren and Gucci. Dont these people realise there is a budget? Stayed in the hostel mostly though and prepared for our trip through Zimbabwe.
I'm not really sure my blogs are describing just quite what South Africa is like but to sum it up I would say it is a place of true extremes. The people however no matter where they are from are so so lovely.
x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb