Eastern Cape Safari


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape
September 30th 2021
Published: June 29th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Back for another tour with Ashley & Katie (at the wheel) at Lawrence de Lange Nature Reserve.

The Lawrence de Lange Nature Reserve enjoys prime positioning as it is idyllically perched on the inclines of the Madeira Mountain Range. Queenstown is where Ashley grew up, the town was named after Queen Victoria. Founded in 1853, it was intended to be a military outpost designed to protect the British subjects from attack during the time of the Frontier wars.

Queenstown became a service town for farmers in the district. It was known for the quality of its wagon building.

In the late 19th century, Queenstown prospered, and the huge local sand stone public buildings were built, most still standing today.

It was a beautiful day with good signal and with the aid of Ash’s binoculars we were able to see Savannah Giraffe, even saw a small group of young giraffe, one with its umbilical cord still attached!

Also saw Black Wildebeest, Zebra, Springboks, Eland, Ostrich, A yellow tailed mongoose & Helmeted Guinea Fowl.

A Leopard Tortoise ( who definitely didn’t move slowly), the fourth largest species of tortoise in the world. Typical adults can reach approximately
46cm in length and can weigh up to 18kg

On a wet dreary afternoon here in the U.K. it was so enjoyable to be able to visit this beautiful reserve & learn so much especially about the Giraffe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement





Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb