Coffee Bay


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Coffee Bay
June 1st 2008
Published: July 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Fire dancingFire dancingFire dancing

Fire dancing on the beach
The road to Coffee Bay is hideous. DO NOT DO IT AT NIGHT. It is narrow and full of pot holes and animals and people and stuff. The trip takes FOREVER,but it is what you would expect when going to a very rural part of the country.
Coffee Bay is VERY RURAL,it is small and don't expect to find much there other than the backpackers spots and other accommodation establishments.
We arrived at the Coffee Shack, to a free welcome drink and were pleasantly surprised to find out that Sunday nights mean free potjiekos!!!
It was delicious and you can go back for seconds. After dinner, games are played in the bar, such as “killer pool”, and the prize is the winner gets to go on the next days excursion for free.
Excursions involve visits to local villages ,horse rides on the beach etc. If someone in the bar shouts "Buffalo" at you, it means you are drinking with your right hand and must down your drink!!!
You can hire boards and get surf lessons as well. Or, sit in the tropical garden and make your own bongo drum and learn how to play it like a pro. The Coffee Shack
Fire dancing 2Fire dancing 2Fire dancing 2

Fire dancing 2
is African themed,and the dorms and rooms are set amongst stone pebble walkways and tropical gardens with hammocks in the trees.
At night everyone gathers in the bar to play pool or round the fire pit. We met up with Terry and Emily(Aussie) from J Bay and Arik,the American Fire dancer. We managed to convince the bongo drummers to come down to the beach and help Arik and the “Bomvu(backpackers) girl” to give us a fire show.
We woke up the next morning to the sound of Bongo drums outside,me with a hideously sore throat(the start of tonsillitis) and Dave with a broken toe..believed to have occurred on the way to the toilet at some stage the night before...
We went for walk, or a hop along in Dave's case on the beach and bought some beads from the locals. Then, finding no doctors of sorts in the area, we decided to move on to Port St Johns to recuperate...


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Fire dancing 3Fire dancing 3
Fire dancing 3

Fire dancing 3
Beach at Coffee BayBeach at Coffee Bay
Beach at Coffee Bay

Beach at Coffee Bay
Beach at Coffee Bay 2Beach at Coffee Bay 2
Beach at Coffee Bay 2

Beach at Coffee Bay 2
Sea viewSea view
Sea view

Sea View
Village at sunsetVillage at sunset
Village at sunset

The village at sunset
Buffalo RulesBuffalo Rules
Buffalo Rules

You can't drink with your right hand in the bar, if you do, you have to down your drink!!! BUFFALO!!!!


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb