Coffee Bay


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Coffee Bay
March 28th 2007
Published: March 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So Sweet!So Sweet!So Sweet!

We did a tour of the village with Silas and we met this little boy along the way.He was so energetic and happy that you couldn't help but fall instantly in love with him!
Chris, Fergus and I arrived in Mtata at around 3:00 and then had to wait until around 4:30 for the Baz bus from the other direction to get there. She shuttle out to Coffee Bay took about an hour and a half...I thought it would be about 45 minutes but I had heard wrong so the guys were not impressed! We got there around six and Fran and Thommo just happened to be there so it was awesome to meet up with them again! We went for sundowners at a lookout point and then had an amazing dinner. I have to say that the Xhosa bread they make in Coffee Bay is the best bread I have ever had. I looked forward to that part of the meal every night!

Coffee Bay was pretty amazing. Besides being a really beautiful place it really felt like the real Africa. The locals all live in mud huts with no electricity and the tradition is still so strong there. They still trade cows for wives and pretty much grow and harvest all their own food. The following day we went for a village tour (the pictures where I have mud on my face). It was pretty awesome but really hot, I think I got a pretty bad burn that day. I should have found some mud earlier because it acts as a natural sunscreen. The nights in Coffee Bay were spent at the bar. The locals and the staff at the Coffee Shack are so amazing, they welcome you into the hostel like you are family and really make an effort to include everyone in the social activities that go on there. I also started to learn how to play the drums…too much fun. I really wanted one but it would have been way too much to carry around.

They do day trips every day to different places around Coffee bay and the prices are pretty reasonable. All the guides are local boys and they always provide lunch with the day trips. Chris, Fergus Fran and Thommo stayed until Thursday the 22nd and I ended up staying until the following Saturday. Kelly came along on the Wednesday so that was wicked. I swear it was like we had been hanging out forever (even though it was only an evening). Everyone loved her cause how can you not so we all partied together that night and then Chris, Fergus, Fran and Thommo all left the next day. Alex ended up showing up on the Thursday. Kelly, Alex and his new girl and I went on the walk to whole in the wall the Friday morning…which was long but beautiful! After the walk Kelly and I decided that we still had enough energy to fit in a free surf lesson. It was my first time but I think I did pretty well. I managed to get up a couple of times so I was pretty excited. Sam is the surf instructor there and he is a really good guy so we ended up hanging out with him quite a bit while we were there as well!

Later that night Kelly and I went to the traditional dinner at the local Head Mans house. It was pretty crowded and hot seeing as there were about 30 of us and then a good 30 or 40 kids all crowded into this little hut. The kids danced and sang (see video) which was pretty amazing and then after we ate there was a question period between us and the local men. This pretty much involved how a man gets a wife and so on. Later that night it was the usual hang out and drink and socialise. I think we ended the night with a small party in the big hammock and then a good game of Jenga.

The next morning Kelly and I got up early and went surfing again and then I headed off to Cintsa to meet up with the guys and Fran and Thommo before they headed on their way farther down the coast.



Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Snakes having sexSnakes having sex
Snakes having sex

The things you find walking down a goat path!
We were coated with mud!We were coated with mud!
We were coated with mud!

This was during our walk through the village.It's a tradition that has to do with part of the ritual of becoming a man.....I wonder what this means for me?
Too Funny!Too Funny!
Too Funny!

Okay so Kelly and I were up there for the sunset and we look over and see this guy.....posing for his friend. We killed ourselves laughing so decided to make fun of him a bit! Ya I know it's kind of mean but come on....you can't pose like that seriously and be surprised when someone laughs at you!


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb