!Rihla #20 Piracy in the Modern World


Advertisement
Somalia's flag
Africa » Somalia » Somaliland » Borama
March 3rd 2013
Published: March 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

1. Piracy continues to exist today mostly in Somalia.With a boat filled with dozens of armed men, pirates unexpectedly hijack boats. They then take control of the boat, bring back to their base, and then demand a large ransom from the owner of the boat. Usually the ransom is paid by being dropped from a plane and, along with a parachute, floats down swiftly.

2.Piracy seems to have changed because they now have better weapons and technology. Additionally, pirates today have better maps and know how to navigate trough perilous waters.

3. Authorities are tring to solve the problem by implementing a police force near Africa by using African mercinaries to control the pirate problem. I do not think that this is the only way to solve this problem. I believe that there should be some kind of treaty between thepirates and the Unitedd Arab emirates and compromise. I am not sure if this will work long-term but it is somewhat possible.

4. Do I think piracy is justifiable? Depends. Back during the Age of Exploration, I believe that the pirates were "pirating" on the explorers, or the ones that killed and stole from the Native Americans. Since it wasn't their treasure, they don't deserve to keep it. However, today, it is not justifiable because they are stealing from innocent people. In other words, piracy is only justifiable when pirates "pirate" pirates.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb