New friends in Freetown


Advertisement
Sierra Leone's flag
Africa » Sierra Leone » Freetown
November 9th 2015
Published: November 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Zik dropped me off at the hotabah lodge on route to his work at christian aid, only a short distance away and invites me back depending on what the next couple of days hold. After joining up with olwa truck we head to the Guinea embassy to apply for visas (inflated price of $200), and make plans to apply for Mali visa asap after Guinea approval, in case our permit to pass a closed border between guniea and coted'voire continues not to materialise. I spend the rest of the day getting SIM card, contacting couch surfers who offered me to stay, and mingle around the markets in PZ district, that evening group meal in local restaurant to get to know tour group, next day 10/11/15 i meet up with Alusine Csurfer) while in town withdrawing cash and go for a drink before heading to the Mali embassy, yet a delay occurs, myself and John take a stroll down into the hut villages below murraytown road, we are accompanied by a local dude "DJ Tan", a very poor neighbourhood but very friendly and got to take lots of photos and stumbled across a school in which we were given a short tour, a little later we eventually get applications in for Mali visa 340000 SLeones. Rest of the afternoon is spent at papaya bar ( resurrected copy of bar from film blood diamond) there I meet up with Abdul Csurfer, who later though already dark takes me on tour of national stadium where 5000 flood victims / refugees reside still, Abdul works with the Aid co-op organising their stay, amenities and health. An Africa moment occurs (Power cut) and the entire stadium plunges into darkness. Looking around a football stadium wriggling with people at night in near complete darkness was quite an experience. I am invited back the next day 11/11/15 for a state announcement of their intention to reposition the refugees in 4 days. I do so however Africa time means the gathering is delayed until later in the day, after a second walk about in daylight I get my hair cut localy & fairly well for 30000 Sleones, and head back to the tour group to depart Freetown at midday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb