Rear end troubles


Advertisement
Seychelles' flag
Africa » Seychelles » Mahé
April 20th 2010
Published: April 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Leaving behind our cold water woes, we headed for Beau Vallon for an exciting evening in our Seychelles calendar - an invite to someone's house, where I'd been the person invited. Nothing to do with school whatsoever - released from the dependent shackles oh yes! Except, the other one was driving and it was dark and raining, and he likes moaning about it, it worryingly reaching a peak when behind the wheel he complained that he couldn't see. Comforting.

It got worse.

Turning right into the road (well driveway) we needed to take, with the darkness and rain and steep hill, the car struggled to get up. Deciding to reverse, we started back to find another car had turned in behind us. Trying to steer to allow them to sidle past, the other one yelped at me to check my side of the road, at which point the car behind beeped us urgently and I yelped that perhaps he really should stop reversing. Too late. In the darkness, it had been difficult to see that the left side of the road fell to a drop. I had to jump about half a metre out the car, you see the back left wheel was hanging over the sodding edge.

So the bloke behind got out of his car. Another bloke came out of his house. Help was shouted in Creole, useless as we're useless uncomprehending expats. The other one tried to rev the car forward, smoke rising, till eventually the two blokes together pushed the car and thankfully it came unstuck.

To add to our rubbish day, the people behind were going the same place (one of the girls was from Alliance Francaise) and so it was a bit embarrassing plus the other one was all a fluster. On arrival at 'A's I made a beeline for the fridge and a cold beer.

The evening turned out good though. Lovely food, drink and company; 'A' had made a real effort. We got home in one piece too. Now I just think that the other one should have his eyes tested. Ironic really, A is an optometrist. Must mention next time I see her.

paradisepromised.wordpress.com

Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb