Dakar, Senegal, -- November 10,2015


Advertisement
Senegal's flag
Africa » Senegal
January 9th 2016
Published: January 9th 2016
Edit Blog Post

DSC01003DSC01003DSC01003

At the top of a hill they have placed this huge statue of a man, woman and child reaching out
Dakar, Senegal

One of the first signs that we definitely were in Africa was when our ship arrived. There was a freighter docked where the Mariner was suppose to dock. The remaining space was inadequate for our ship to dock. Finally after three hours after the first excursion was to have departed they moved the freighter back about 20 feet and our ship was able to slip in. All this time the buses were parked there waiting.

Greater Dakar has about 2 million people, dusty, garbage everywhere, very hot and traffic jams everywhere. One feature is that one can purchase just about anything from people along the side of the streets, ranging from drinks, to toilet paper, virtually anything.

We were about an hour late returning to the due to traffic jams. It was worse for people that took the fairy over to Goree Island where the Portuguese had established their slave fort. On the planned return to the mainland they closed the gates to the fairy. The locals were upset and a little hostile and some of the passengers were angy and banging on the gates. The locals wanted the tourists to buy more. Finally after standing in the hot sun for 11/2 hours the gates were opened. Thise on the excurion believe that money was finally exchanged to permit the return to the ship. I don't know how he does it but our guide had 3 wifes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

DSC01005DSC01005
DSC01005

Our guide who has 3 wifes
DSC01028DSC01028
DSC01028

Most parks, graveyards etc were over run with weeds


Tot: 0.355s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 75; dbt: 0.1119s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb