Jazz Star


Advertisement
Senegal's flag
Africa » Senegal
June 19th 2008
Published: June 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

First Mustache RemovalFirst Mustache RemovalFirst Mustache Removal

Getting ready for the big event. Kaijah decided she would brave depilatory for the first time! She was a champ - although when we did her legs and painted toes and fingernails, she kept screaming, "Ooowww, beauty is pain! Beauty is pain!"
Here are some photos from Kaijah's Jazz Recital. The show was called 'Traffic Designer"...no idea why but artsy folks can be bizarre....The first half of the show was essentially a recital and the second half was a professional dance troupe. It was kind of a nice way of doing things. Kaijah looked amazing and did an incredible job! I think she is a natural on stage! She was the only one with "Toubab" enough parents I guess because she was the only one who got flowers. Her dance mates were blown away by her hair. Her dance was second so she got to sit with us and watch the rest of the show afterwards.

After a particularly fun hip-hop number Keagan said, “That was awesome; I wish that dance would never end.” Then, the classical music started and he said in a very sarcastic, yet monotone voice, “Oh, yea….more ballet!”

There was a Michael Jackson number of course, and about half way through that Kaijah leaned over to me and said, “Mama, I don’t really understand why they all keep grabbing their privates!” Later she said, “You know Mama, if you are a Christian, this type of dancing could
Getting ReadyGetting ReadyGetting Ready

Mame Kollie put orange mesh in Kaijah's hair. I stayed up until 2 a.m. curling it with a curling iron! The things we do for our children that they will never understand or fully appreciate...when you're 40, you need your beauty rest more than you do when you are 20!
really be a problem for you; in fact, I have a real problem with this!” YOU GO GOOD GIRL!!! Now, if only I can hear that from her lips when she is 15!

Friday at dinner, Kaijah just stared at her flowers and finally said, “Every time I look at my flowers I just feel so happy inside!”



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Cat PoseCat Pose
Cat Pose

I thought with the orange and black combo hair and clothes, and the silver nails and toes, she could make for a good cat...
Strike a PoseStrike a Pose
Strike a Pose

She has two poses in her dance; this is one of them....
Looking a Little Bit BeyonceLooking a Little Bit Beyonce
Looking a Little Bit Beyonce

Kaijah looked at herself in the mirror and said, "I feel so much like a teenager!"
Kaijah and SoriyaKaijah and Soriya
Kaijah and Soriya

This is one of Kaijah's friends from school. She is also in jazz, but the second level class. Kaijah did ballet in the USA, but seemed to be getting bored with it so we switched to jazz. Now I'm looking for a place she can do traditional African dance.
Kaijah and LeilaKaijah and Leila
Kaijah and Leila

Backstage...
Kaijah and FansKaijah and Fans
Kaijah and Fans

Backstage...
Mama and Crew BackstageMama and Crew Backstage
Mama and Crew Backstage

Being backstage...brings back so many memories!
Kaijah's Dance ClassKaijah's Dance Class
Kaijah's Dance Class

It was too dark for me to get any shots during the actual dance, but this is backstage beforehand. L to R: Aiga, Kaijah, Maggie, Maxine, Fleur, Loraine
Spectator SupportSpectator Support
Spectator Support

Daddy and DJ
Spectator Support 2Spectator Support 2
Spectator Support 2

Leila - killing time watching Dora on the iPod
Spectator Support 3Spectator Support 3
Spectator Support 3

Mama and Keagan
Kaijah and Her FlowersKaijah and Her Flowers
Kaijah and Her Flowers

You would not believe how difficult it was to come by the fresh flowers in Dakar! Now that I know where to get them, next time will be much easier!
Tonton EsperanceTonton Esperance
Tonton Esperance

You know how famous we are for adopting Tontons...Senegal is no exception. Esperance works with me at World Vision and is one of my nearest and dearest; he has been such a help to us. I was very impressed that he came to support Kaijah. He is always so tired and works crazy hours; and, it cost a pretty penny to get in! So, we really appreciated his presence.


2nd July 2008

Good Pics
Thanks for sharing. That was enjoyable!

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb