The Rwandan Genocide


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda
January 23rd 2014
Published: January 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

The Rwandan Genocide was another huge genocide that happened that had a huge impact on old society and modern day society today. This happened in the year 1994, and this happened in East Africa. This conflict happened between two groups called Hutus and Tutsis. This happened over a 100 days approximately. About 500,000 people were killed during these 100 days. This was about 20% of the whole country's population. This whole conflict started for many different reasons. These reasons were the tensions between the majority Hutus and Tutsis, whom were seen as the elite members of society. Also, the Belgian colonial rule, which rewarded Tutsis with a Western education, and denied political and economic power to the Hutus. Another reason was that Rwnadan Independence, in 1963, when the Tutsis were discriminated against, and went into exile in Uganda. The civil war, when the Tutsis returned to Rwanda in 1990, ended up in a cease-fire, signed by the Hutu president, and presided over by the UN peacekeeping force. The last reason was President Habyariman, a Hutu, was shot and killed on April 6th, 1994. This was blamed on the Tutsis, so they started a war. All of this caused a great massacre on the Tutsis, and that is why all of this even started. It was a very bloody massacre, and a lot of people died very quickly over the 100 days. It was a great event in history, and it didn't happen too long ago either. It was just in 1994. It made a huge impact because we all still learn about it and talk about it until this day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb