One Week Down


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda » Ville de Kigali » Kigali
October 4th 2009
Published: October 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On Friday, the Embassy trusted Alex enough to loan him a Land Cruiser so we have wheels for the first time. On Saturday, we drove all over the city of Kigali with two couples from Alex's work. We attempted to go to the farmer's market to buy vegetables and crafts, but it was closed due to a local election. Instead, we came to the shopping mall which is reminiscent of the Blazy Mall in Soldotna when it had Mugz. We are currently eating at a Starbucks-like cafe, where Alex got food poisoning yesterday, but the only place we have found with free internet.

In our tour, we found the butcher shop, unfortunately named the German Butchery. For lunch, we ate at an Indian restaurant in downtown and walked around to a few shops there. There are many different supermarkets here (at least ten), but they are all fairly small with about as many items as the Moose Pass convenience store. When you take your basket to the counter, a person records by hand each item and the cost on a receipt which you take to the cashier to pay. It takes a really long time, as we are discovering that many things do here.

Driving here is "like you're driving through a riot." -Alex. There are very few street names, and we have yet to see a sign designating the name of a street. Since there are no house numbers either, we do not have a home address. Getting lost is much more risky, as we have no way of asking for directions to our house with no address. Obeying traffic signs is optional, and it is not clear whether cars or pedestrians have the right of way. There are so many people walking, it seems like the July 4th parade just ended and people are dispersing. The other thing we've noticed is the lack of street lights at night...which makes driving particularly interesting. People are walking on the sidewalks, in the streets, with sacks of produce on their heads, and babies tied with cloth to their mothers' backs. Motorcycle taxis are everywhere as well, zipping back and forth looking for fares.

We're enjoying the remarkably warm and temperate weather (75-80 degrees, rain or shine). Even the rains are really nice because they clear away the smoke from the cooking fires.

Advertisement



4th October 2009

Love the blog
Glad you had the opportunity to send another blog as I know from chatting with your Mom that she was hoping to hear from you. Good thing you have so much free time since things seemed to be conducted like most places in the tropics --- on slow mode or as we refer to it --- Maui time. Take care --- have fun --- want to trade weather? We have 40 mile an hour winds with blowing snow and it's only Oct. 4. It may be more than we can tolerate staying around Bozeman until Dec. 7. Love, Kate
5th October 2009

Nice Update
Hi Jenn and Alex! So interesting to hear about what you guys are up to and the experiences you have had so far! Keep the updates and descriptions coming! :) Everyone is curious to know how you are. Your mom brought by your wedding "album" for the office to check out - very nice pictures! Things are just as busy here as always... even with fieldwork basically done! We miss you!!!!
6th October 2009

Great to hear from you!
Ah, yes, the wonderful African shop names. My favorite was a mechanics' supply store named "Partner Lubricants". There was also "Paradox Small Workshop"; I never figured out what kind of business that was. On the other hand, there was the VERY clear "Opthalmic Opticians Optometrists (Opthamologists)". Everything takes a very long time because only white people suffer from the illusion that there is such a thing as "a hurry." In terms of right of way, best to cede it - esp. if you're driving. Can you imagine finding that many Americans willing to walk? Can't wait to see pictures!!
9th October 2009

Have you thought about a GPS
Have you thought about a GPS? Being as it is Africa you won't be able to get any street information but you could at least know how to get where you are going and home by knowing what direction to go and how far it is.

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.096s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb