First Impressions - Kigali


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda » Ville de Kigali » Kigali
September 30th 2009
Published: September 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We flew into the airport on a Sunday evening. Looking out the window of the plane, there were so few lights that it looked more like flying over North Kenai than a city of almost a million people. We walked down the stairs onto the runway and into warm smoky air. Upon entering the airport, we were met by a U.S. Embassy employee who led us into a separate room with leather couches while he took care of our paperwork. In the airport lobby, we were met by Portia, the Embassy nurse, and her husband John, the director of the Peace Corps in Rwanda, who gave us a ride to our new house.

Our house has a seriously steep driveway, so luckily it never gets icy here. There is a security gate and high fencing and walls all around. There is a big front yard with a (currently non-functional) swimming pool and marble front porch. The inside is all tile flooring with big area rugs and fancy furniture. There is a living room, dining room, kitchen, master bedroom and bath, and four other bedrooms that we don't yet know what to do with. There is also a guest bathroom and a bathroom that opens directly from outside the house for the security guard/gardner/guests. In the back, there is a huge patio with retaining walls since the house is built on the side of a hill. Also, there is a separate guest house with two bedrooms. Portia and John bought us the basic groceries and the house comes equipped with temporary supplies like towels and dishes.

After touring the house, we went out for a quick bite to eat at Papyrus, a nearby restaurant where they have pizza and pasta. Rwanda is on something like really slow island time, so the average wait at a restaurant is between one and two hours. Our house is in the "Restaurant District" so we are really close to most of the good restaurants in Kigali.

Advertisement



30th September 2009

WOW
So glad to hear you arrived safe and sound! Sounds like you have quite the palatial strappings to lay your head!!!! Can't imagine what you will do with all those bedrooms... AND a guest house!?!?! Holy smokes! Really looking foward to seeing pictures! Write updates as much as you able... we are all anxious to hear EVERYTHING!
1st October 2009

good to hear about your adventure
thanks for the card and for your thoughtfulness. It's great to catch up on your adventures and your new living space. Blessings on both of you!
1st October 2009

wow
what a change from "little ole Kenai" how exciting about everything. thank you for including me in this adventure. today I first viewed the wedding cd...so you kids have been on my thoughts all day love/grandma
4th October 2009

Sounds Awesome
Jenn and Alex: Wow it sounds pretty awesome so far. I was thinking straw huts with dirt floors and no running water. Not really - but I did not know what your were in for. Keep blogging! We are stuck in BC on the way home to MI - the transmission went out on the car....UGH - It could be worse. Have fun! Judi
7th October 2009

Sounds like a palace! Really enjoying reading about your adventure so far!!

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb