Hotel Rwanda


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda » Province de L'Ouest » Gisenyi
April 22nd 2013
Published: April 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

In 1994, Rwanda irrupted in genocide in which the Hutu tribe began a massive killing of the other local tribe called the Tutsis. This violence occured when the Rwandan president was assainated by either Tutsis rebels or his own Hutus as an excuse to start the killings. For about one hundred days after the assaination the country was in complete anarchy as no outside forces intervined and up to a million Tutsis were slaughtered mainly with clubs, tools and machetes. In this small country this was ten percent of the population. Even though this was clearly genocide the UN did nothing along with other major countries. The murders did not stop until Tutsis rebels that had found backing from neighboring countries invaded the countries.

It is easy to say that the reason for the killings was the tension created by centuries of the dutch favoring the Tutsis and I can't argue that it wasn't. But what I think led to such a delayed reaction in addressing the problem is that no major military country had any ecomnomic investment in Rwanda. It is a small country and in the movie it really only seemed a tourist attraction because of cheap prices and nice weather. So if you have power why would you waste the money it isn't important to you. In a business sense the killings could be ignored and the world would go along, that is why nothing was done.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb