Landing in Lagos


Advertisement
Nigeria's flag
Africa » Nigeria
October 25th 2009
Published: October 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

From the air above Lagos, one is struck by the lush green everywhere. Cities are smaller in Africa, so even though this is the biggest city in Nigeria, you don’t see any buildings until you are almost on top of the airport. Just trees for miles and miles and then a few squat buildings, then you are on the ground. A full applause from the Nigerians upon touchdown was a nice touch. As for the hotel—don’t ask, let’s just say it is well below the standards of both Ms. Cecilia Nipp and Ms. Rosie Lyons. They would have both moved to another hotel by now. Not that they are wrong--they just both happen to be 4 star and above people, and I am delighted to travel with them, because then I have an excuse to go for top end. As I am solo on this gyli adventure, I am in 1 star land--or maybe half a star depending on how you score.

In the small immigration hall, I was greeted with, what else, cell phone ads. Cell phone ads are the same in every country—smiling people so happy to connect with their loved ones. I think these adds (for GLO here in Nigeria) are like the cigarette adds in the 70’s. the myth if youth, beauty and connection, when really cell phones are a gigantic hassle, with incomprehensible contracts and payment structures (is that even the English language when they make up stuff like “proration charges”? ), and ultimately a series of health problems that will not surface for many years.

A beautiful sunset close my first day in Lagos. Looking forward to meeting all the folks from APEN (Association of Private Educators Nigeria) tomorrow. Peace to all!! ~matt


Advertisement



27th October 2009

Amazing where the adventure leads. GYLI and 1 star digs. Priceless.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb