Sossusvlei and Dune 45 & Bushcamp


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia
October 26th 2005
Published: February 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Another early morning, 0400hrs to be precise! But the early rise was justified as we were to climb Dune 45 on the Sossusvlei and watch the sunrise. The morning was cool and crisp. At first glance the dune didn’t really look that high. But as we began our ascent we soon realised that it was going to be a tough climb as. Every footstep we took we felt ourselves sinking into the soft sand. It was indeed a difficult climb as the summit was also much higher than it looked from ground level.
It was well worth the struggle to the top as we watched the sunrise. Slowly the surrounding dunes glowed red for as far as the eye could see. It was a truly beautiful sight.
The walk down was much easier and we were all greeted with a yummy breakfast of French toast and bacon, mmm.
A good breakfast and many photographs later we made our way further into the Sossusvlei where we were to go on a bushwalk. Charmaine didn’t go unfortunately as her antimalarials were causing her skin to burn incredibly easily and the intense heat of Namibia was too much to bear. Darren enjoyed many sights on the bushwalk, led by a genuine Namib bushman. The bushman told stories of how he once walked to the sea, a walk which took him 8 days! He told of how he buried water underground in ostrich shells and relocated as he needed it. He never wore shoes and his elephant-skin-like-feet showed this easily, especially when the ground temperature in the desert reaches extremes of 78C.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb