Africa 2016


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Windhoek
December 29th 2015
Published: December 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

On Monday, December 28, 2015, we left Toronto Pearson Airport, in the first snow storm of the season after a very green Christmas! We enjoyed the Holidays with family and friends, then de-decorated, cleaned the house, distributed all the leftover food to our niece Victoria and departed on a long journey, first to Nambia, then to South Africa.

This is being written on a Luftanza flight somewhere over Africa on our way to Cape Town. We've already flown 7 hours from Toronto to Munich, had a 9 hour layover in Munich, where we rented a day room at the Shearton for a quick nap and shower, then back to the Aiport for a 11.5 hour non stop flight to Cape Town. This will become quite a travel "workout" as we have a 10 hour layover in Cape Town before getting a 1 1/2 hour connecting flight to Windhoek, our final destination.

It's been a couple of years, since we travelled long distances by plane and technology advances are most evident from the high tech screening at Munich airport to the new Airbus 340-600 Luftanza plane with the washrooms all clustered in the belly.

There was little evidence of the 1,000,000 refugees that are reported to have been accepted by Germany although our stay there was quite short and in a limited part of the country (Munich airport which was fairly quiet).

We flew Air Canada to Munich and Lufthansa to Cape Town and unfortunately Lufthansa wins on customer service and overall experience, in the same economy class of service.

Well so much for the introduction. We'll be blogging from Nambia when we have some experiences to share, so stayed tuned!

Happy New Year to everyone! We hope 2016 brings great happiness and health to everyone.

Advertisement



30th December 2015

Safe flight. In Victoria, BC, I just experienced a 4.3 earthquake that woke me up! Exciting news over here on the west coast....ha ha. Looking forward to reading about your adventures. Christine & I are VERY envious. Happy New Year, Cheers, hugs & luv, Michelle & Christine

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb