Katie is an international grill master


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Windhoek
August 28th 2011
Published: August 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday morning we ran some errands with Dr. Brown and one of the stores we stopped in was Game, which is Namibia's version of Walmart. It was just as awful as Walmart except for their fun hot pink uniforms. Apparently Walmart has actually bought out Game which a lot of Namibians are upset about. We also passed the Namibian Lions Club, so Aunt Bev you can bring your mobile home here anytime 😊 When we got back we had to perfom some giraffe surgery. We bought a carved giraffe in Okahandja that is way to big for our suitcase so Katie sawed off all of his legs and we will have to reconstruct him when we get back home. We then spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing, blogging and starting to do some packing.

For a special treat for dinner last night, Katie used the Browns' braai to cook up some delicious chicken and zucchini. A braai is like a charcoal grill with a chimney. We have a gas grill at home so it took some adjusting but she quickly adjusted her technique. It took longer than on the grill but the final result was quite delicious!!

This morning we went to church with the Browns again and the pastor prayed for our families and everyone affected by the hurricane as well as our safe return home which was nice. After church we had lunch at a really funny restaurant called Spur. It is a chain that is decorated in a parody of American Indians that serves burgers, ribs and other "American food" The kids get cardboard headdresses and their happy birthday song includes "don't stop, get it, get it" as part of the lyrics. The food was very good but it was pretty funny. As part of our "get back on US time" initiative we took long naps this afternoon and then stayed up late tonight and worked more on packing. Our souvenirs are getting a bit out of control, hopefully we'll be able to fit it all in our bags! We are definitely enjoying our "borrowed time" in Namibia, we hope everyone is safe and sound at home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb