This art rocks......


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Twyfelfontein
May 10th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Welwitschia mirabilis plantWelwitschia mirabilis plantWelwitschia mirabilis plant

These plants can live for over a thousand years. This one is older than me! It only has 2 leaves. It looks like there are more as they get shredded by the wind.
We arrived in the hottest place in the world after a long drive. We did stop along the way, once for petrol where we felt like we were actually in Africa with hustle, bustle and hawkers everywhere, and once to see a Petrified Forest (presumably it had seen Laura driving on the rock laden roads!).

The Lodge is nice although we can't walk more than 5 paces without looking at the Lizards and Bushy Tailed rock rats (stick a bushy tail on a rat and you are happy for them to run around your feet....). After a lovely lunch in the kind of place the Flintstones would go for a posh meal we relaxed by the pool.

The next morning we went to see the rock paintings this area is famous for, we had a guided tour and saw the paintings of animals that are on the rock faces at various bizarre angles. We chatted to our guide and learnt some of the local language, it's the Damara language and is the one full of clicks and whistles, after amusing her with our poor attempts we learnt at least to say thank you which phonetically is "Guy Ay Os".

We took a short but bumpy drive to the Organ Pipes, a small canyon filled with nice rocks, before heading on to Burnt Mountain which looks like a burnt mountain (say what you see).

In the evening we got treated to an impromptu song concert, whilst having our evening meal, by the staff but we were too busy feasting on the local fauna to listen too intently! Oryx (Gemsbok) is goooood!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Namibian Rock AgamaNamibian Rock Agama
Namibian Rock Agama

There were loads of these running all around the lodge grounds.


Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 21; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb