Namibia 2016 Day 12 Swakopmund (Cornerstone Guest House's beach view apartment)


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Swakopmund
August 13th 2016
Published: August 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Not such a long journey today, mainly on the C14, which was in much better repair than we remember from 2012.

We started by a stop for fuel and decent coffee at Solitaire (the one criticism of Namib Desert Lodge is that their coffee is foul). Solitaire is a wonderfully quirky place, characterised by a large number of old car and truck bodies on display like a strange sculpture park. There is rumoured to be a meerkat colony but today it was the ground squirrels causing a stir - they look quite similar but their tails are fluffier and they have a more hunched stance.

The C14 between Soliatire and Walvis Bay does not pass through any towns, but the scenery is wonderful. En route we travelled through the Gaus and Kuiseb Passes, both of which are spectacular. There is a parking area where the road reaches a high point before dropping away to the ocean across plains that turn increasingly arid and sandy. The ground around this plateau is covered with flowers that don't become apparent until you look closely.

Last time we visited we had to drive through Walvis Bay to get to Swakopmund, but there is now a new salt road that runs alongside red dunes that are a smaller version of those at Sossusvlie.

Swakopmund is a lovely costal town with a strong German influence. We are very lucky to be staying in a well-appointed three bedroom apartment that is an annexe of the Cornerstone Guest House. The apartment looks out onto the ocean, with a quiet road and promenade in between. Rob even managed to fit a run along the sea front. Tonight we decided to make use of the facilities on offer and rather than eating out we visited Pick N Pay for supplies and had a night in.

Tomorrow we will be collected after breakfast at the guesthouse and taken for a tour of Sandwich Harbour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0681s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb