Swakopmund


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Swakopmund
June 2nd 2012
Published: June 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The Swakopmund Hotel is a grand old lady, formerly the train station, and we were delighted to be there for two nights, which gave us all an opportunity to regroup, do some laundry and see a little bit of the town.

Up early in the morning (as usual) for a drive up the Skeleton Coast to Cape Cross to photograph the seal colony. Richard decided to spend his morning at the Crystal Museum, a place he visited 18 months ago when we were in Swakopmund.

The East winds were blowing furiously and not only were they hot, but they created a terrific sandstorm. We could hardly see, and when we arrived at Cape Cross, we really didn't want to get out of the vehicle because of the sand blasting everything. However, brave it we did, with camera gear as protected by jackets as possible.

Kayla lamented not bringing along her plastic camera sleeve, but when we left Swakopmund, it was not obvious that there was such a sand storm going on. She did, however, have her nose plugs along, but didn't need them because the winds were blowing the smell off-shore.

Afternoon was spent on our own and we went to a camera shop to pick up another CF card for Kayla, who didn't bring enough storage, and to the bank for more Namibian cash. Dinner was at the hotel - a lovely buffet.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb