Namibia


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Swakopmund
May 22nd 2010
Published: May 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

....this will be quick, as internet here is SLOW

Snapshot: We left the Okvandgo Delta in Botswana a week ago and now in Swakopmund Namibia. Okvandgo Delta is (at least the locals claim), the largest inland delta in the world. Imagine a vast area the size of Maine under water, and once every year the water spreads to central Botswana, turning desert into green habitats. We arrived when waters were starting to move, and to date, has one of the highest flows recorded (at least to date).

We then crossed the border into Namibia, and cruised around Etosha National Park. This huge salt pan is home to all the large and little critters in a 20,000 km protected land. Because it is winter here, all the critters are easily observed around the few water holes. Within the first day, we saw all the critters (and then some) as in Kruger but still no wild Cheetahs. So when then visited the Cheetah Conservation Fund, so Yvonne could bask with the 47 cheetahs currently running wild in this natural reserve.

We continued south, saying goodbye to the native tribal lands and tradtions 😞, with a whole lot more German and Afrikaans western influence. For the last 600 kms, we passed towns with German bakeries and Afrikaans butcheries. -Yes, lot of German speaking heard throughout these towns. Amazing considering German only ruled here for 20 years (last year was 1915!).

We are now in Swakapmund, a German influenced town, for Namibians and South Africans looking for a coastal vacation. We arrived at night, this "vacation" land also has vacations prices. So we will likely leave soon, and continue south, to the the great red dunes.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb