Our Trip to the Coast


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Swakopmund
February 8th 2010
Published: February 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

The view from our house
This weekend we went to the coast. We drove about 4 ½ hours west to Swakopmund which is a coastal German town. About two weeks ago we met a man here at Casablanca that just happened to run a school in the same town that we wanted to visit. We changed our plans slightly so that we could see the school while in session on Friday. This meant that we had to drive over Thursday night and miss school here on Friday. The school is a non-profit, two classroom school that services about 30 students. These children come from the surrounding squatter camps. There are families that come down from the northern part of the country for work and bring their children with them. This school helps catch these students up, so that they are not behind when they go back home to government school. Ironically, this is a school that Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt sponsor and have actually come and spent time with the kids in the past. We were able to see the first graders in class and then celebrate the Right February birthdays with them, and play games until the end of school.
Our house that
Photo 3Photo 3Photo 3

Our backyard!
we rented was right on the beach and we literally had sand as our back yard. After we left the school we walked around town and enjoyed walking on the beach. The smell of the ocean reminded us of home. We went out to dinner Friday night and then left Saturday morning. We wanted to get back early so that we had a day back in town to recuperate. It was very fun to see another part of the country and see how different the landscape is from anywhere else in Namibia. This was the last bit of travelling we will be doing while we are here. We will be spending the rest of the time in Windhoek teaching and just relaxing on the weekends.

(Right now I don't have any photos of the school but I will get some up soon)



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Photo 4Photo 4
Photo 4

Maura and me at the beach
Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

Our house from the beach
Photo 6Photo 6
Photo 6

Our whole group taking a walk on the beach
Photo 7Photo 7
Photo 7

It was a beautiful day
Photo 9Photo 9
Photo 9

Our whole group
Photo 11Photo 11
Photo 11

the walkway in front of our house


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb