The Slide


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Swakopmund
September 20th 2009
Published: September 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

A nice relaxing trip to the desertA nice relaxing trip to the desertA nice relaxing trip to the desert

Apparently, you could hear the scream for miles. The video is even better!

Adrenaline Top-Up



Not content with throwing ourselves out of a perfectly servicable airplane we've met up with our travel group to start our overland trip up to Etosha, though Botswana to Vic Falls, who are a really nice bunch.

Before that though, there's a chance for us to take a trip out to the desert for a spot of sandboarding, which of course has to be done, adrenaline junkies that we've now become. Sue decides to go for the 'lie-down' option whereas Tim's determined to find out how sand compares to powder snow on a stand-up.

The dune in question is about 80m high and in the interests of being eco-friendly, no lift or quad bikes to the top you've got to work for it.

Despite being rufty-tufties now, there's a classic 'couple moment' upon our ascent to the dune and Tim doubts Sue's mettle for a brief moment, much to the amusement of our co-boarders.

Sue goes first on one of the 'easy' dune slopes and finds that much to her suprise, girls, being lighter, actually acheive much higher speeds than blokes do. This is pretty obvious as it happens, judging by the volume of
Totally stoked, dudeTotally stoked, dudeTotally stoked, dude

But does he land it?
the screams. Sue reckons she'd prefer to throw herself out of the plane any day.

The sandboarding is very much like riding in powder snow, though you can't really get any edge - lots of weight on the back leg. It's a great feeling and if you've done any boarding before a great opportunity to show off (what, me?)

Having done a couple of descents and posed a bit Tim felt it was worth giving the jump a go. Really great, though the sand is a bit hard-packed after the initial soft landing and somewhat unforgiving. The reader is left to work out if Tim landed anything properly.

At the last minute the stand-up boarders get a chance to have a go at the lie-down boarding. It looks pretty steep and we're all looking at each other wondering who's going to go first. Then the slope looks no more frightening than the open door of an airplane and whoosh - that acceleration really piles on! It's a great smooth feeling, although the bump a the dip at the end really takes you by suprise!

We came to the conclusion that maybe we both should have tried
Bring it onBring it onBring it on

Wish I'd tried it a bit earlier - 67kph!
different disciplines - if you don't like hurtling heads-first at 70kph with your face just over the sand then maybe the lie-down boarding isn't for you, dude - with the sandboarding you have a bit more control. If you've done any boarding, especially in powder, and you're looking for a real thrill then the lie-down caper is definitely worth a go.

Remember: Speed is your friend. Fear is your enemy.

Advertisement



24th September 2009

fear is the mindkiller.
22nd October 2009

Fear makes you hesitate, and hesitating makes you late for drinks and dinner.

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb