Crazy weather and crazy activities


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Swakopmund
May 14th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We are now in Swakopmund which is the adrenaline capital of Namibia. It is not quite on the same scale as Queensland in NZ but there is still a fair amount of stuff to choose from, most of which seem to be based around sand in some way!

Swakopmund has the coast on one side and the Namib desert on the other. When we arrived the wind was blowing off the desert and it was like being in front of a hair dryer and getting blasted with sand at the same time! When we were driving here the sand storm was so bad that we could hardly see the road or the car (yes, it is busy enough here that there are other cars on the road) in front of us. The next day was more "normal" but today it was really cold and misty.

Yesterday we went Quad biking on the dunes which was so much fun. You get kitted out with a helmet and shades and an automatic quad bike and then you are ready to hit the dunes. We spent 2 hours weaving our way across the dunes. Needless to say I was much slower than Tim so he and the guide had to keep stopping and waiting for me. I still had a great time though. The only time my "slowness" was a problem was when I did not have enough momentum to get up a big dune and I ended up having to head down to the bottom instead.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb