Fish River Canyon


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Fish River Canyon
April 7th 2015
Published: April 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The next day, somewhat rested despite the stony ground, we set out once again at the crack of dawn as is our custom. Today we we travel a grueling 425k before our next camp site.

We pass through Bethany a town remarkable only for having the oldest church. Along the way stop at yet another coffee house purportedly offering 'The Best Apple Strudel in Namibia!' How odd it is to find these antiquated German establishments and attitudes deep in the African hinder land.

Even my European co- travels look askance at the proprietors frosty voice and superior attitude sent in my direction.

Several overland hours later, sustained by coffee, sandwiches and apple strudel (definitely NOT the best in Namibia) we arrive at our impressive destination:

The massive Fish River Canyon, the largest in Africa, second in size world wide only to the Grand Canyon is a marvel of nature. Hiking along the rim awed by the sheer magnitude and power I am once again stunned by the beauty of this land. Some break up into pairs, or most go solo; space, peace and solitude quiet the mind, here is only expanse, space to be and breath.

Namibia is vast, sparse, extreme, intense, expansive, powerful, impressive and gorgeous!

As the sun sinks behind the far rim of this immense canyon 550m deep, 27kms wide, 160km long, Eddie our kitchen magician termed 'kitchen engineer' calls us to yet another tasty satisfying meal. With full plate and cold brew we gaze out over the earth as it was and has been for millions of years since the canyon was formed. The sky blazes gold, violet, crimson, magenta then cobalt blue just before it plunges into purple. Fat glowing stars attended by legions of their lesser more distant cousins crowd the sky, the canyon now a black abyss at our feet

Namibia.....you take my breath away!

We clamber back into the truck en route to tonight's campsite to pitch our tents...groan.....

It's about 8:30pm when surprise! We reach a veritable oasis in the desert.

Ai Ais is natural hot spring now a spa. The huge outdoor pool is fed by a cold spring as well as hot mineral water. The indoor giant jacuzzis, one being hotter than the other, are fed the same way, by the natural springs.

Forget the tents! We soak and loll to our hearts desire until the pools close at 10pm.

We have earned our reprieve, departure time is not until 10am. Up early, tents stowed, breakfast gobbled we loll and soak some more. 10am sharp we rumble out so much the better (and cleaner) for the balmy, healthful soak.

(More photos coming soon)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb