Etosha National Park - Namibia


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Etosha National Park
June 13th 2007
Published: June 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Am in this little town called Outjo.. damn.. if i had know i'd have internet here.. i'd probably not have paid the expensive internet last night.. haha.. oh well.. =)

Outjo is a nice little town.. took a walk around town and the surroundings for an hour before coming to this internet cafe.. ahve about 30mins more to go... This town is quite german.. Namibia having it's dutch and german heritage... went into this nice pastry shop.. had a chocolate rum ball.. oooh.. soooo gooood...

Just came out from 3 days in the Etosha National Park.. we crossed the border on the 10th.. and then camped by a campsite beside the Kavango river.. the border crossing is very easy.. stamp exit on botswana side and then walk over to the namibian side.. got all my visas ready.. so everything's good... on the 11th, we drove into the national park.. camped 2 nights there.. and had 2 days of game driving..

Etosha national park is cool.. there is really a good concentration of wildlife there.. you get to see some wildlife every other 200m or so... saw oryx... springboks.. impalas... (hey! i'm finally learning the names of the different deer-things!)... we also saw some lions for both evenings against the setting sun! nice... of cos.. there were elephants.. giraffes.. and zebras.. but the giraffes and zebras were of differnt speicies compared to those i've seen in Kenya and Tanzania... toh! we also some 2 cheetahs chasing some impalas and zebras.. pretty exciting.. but i wasn't fast enough to take any photos.. nor were i seated at a seat strategic enough to take them on the truck... here were many waterholes around the national park.. and you get to see lots of wildlife gathering around the waterholes at diff times of the day..

The national park is also home to one of the world largest salt pan.. basically a big vast patch of grey dirt that nothing grows on.. amazing landscape... the pan stretches for as far as the eye can see...

the campsites are nice.. each campsite has its own waterhole.. and you can sit there whole night and see animals come and drink.. didn't have much in the first campsite.. but at the campsite last night (the one on the west end.. forgot the name).. ooh.. we saw elephants.. drinking water... and then giraffes came... and then black rhinoes came! so close ot the black rhinos.. took some photos on me tripod.. (finally put it to use)... photos turned out alright.. quite a few times.. the elephants and rhinos were challenging each other for spots around thew waterhole... they faced off a couple of times.. but no fights.. sigh.. haha...

camping at a place call Cheetah Park tonight.. where you can get really close to some tamed cheetahs.. and tomorrow.. we'll be headed for Spitzkoppe.. where you can see some amazing rock formation supposedly... after Spitzkoppe.. we'll be spending 3 nights in Swakopmund.. planning to get some serious internet time over there to burn my CDs and upload the photos so far.. thinking of doing some sandboarding.. and quadbiking.. weighing the costs.. sigh.. spend so much money already.. but chewbacca is right.. i 'may not get another chance to do this at this place.. so...maybe.. maybe... =)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 18; qc: 85; dbt: 0.0838s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb