Day 6 - New Accommodation


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Etosha National Park
July 31st 2018
Published: August 4th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Another early start - thought this was a holiday. Bags packed and up to brekky before sunrise. We are off to our next digs, via a scenic flight up the shipwreck coast of west Namibia, followed by a dolphin cruise from Walvis Bay with lunch and then onto our final leg, the Fort at Onguma in the far central north of Namibia.

Plane beats us down by 5 minutes, but no rush as there is fog on the coast. We wait for 15 minutes the off and running. Balloons in the ranges north of us makes for a pleasant take off view. We fly over the dead pan we visited at Sossusvlei the other day. Much more spectacular from the sky. Then onto the coast. Fog, but then as we reach the coast it is clear. We see 1 of the 2 major shipwrecks, lots more sand dunes, but these are cliff sand dunes which go right up to the sea then drop off vertically. Finally get to Walvis Bay international airport. Park miles from the terminal then walk airside to the brand new terminal. The place is deserted as the next flight I or out isn’t until the afternoon.

We get in our minibus to the harbour where we meet our crew. Onto the boat and on the way out notice what looks like an oil rig just out of the harbour. Yes it is a rig, along with lots of tied up rig tenders and floating drill rigs. The bottom has fallen out of the oil price so work is suspended until it gets better.

No dolphins, but we are entertained by pelicans who flock to the boat and get fed fish. Lots of pelicans means lots of pelican poo.... then we have a seal follow the boat and eventually jump on board for his show - and fish feeding. Get to rub his coat to see the water resistance and plushness of the coat. Look at the oyster farm and watch them pulling the mats out to go back and clean before Re-setting then later today or tomorrow.

Search for dolphins, sight a few but no real action. Lots of seals, then in the inner harbour we get taken to a tent on the shore where we are fed and watered (also bubbles, beer and wine). Almost felt like Lawrence of Arabia. They even had a canvas toilet setup with a portable seat for the ladies.....

Back on the boat then to our final destination. This leg was a bit bumpy but no real issues. Land and into our next Safari vehicle - relatively new Land Cruisers modified with the open seats in the back. 20 minutes of dirt tracks later we are greeted like royalty at The Fort at Onguma - yes a real fortress structure.

Water to wash our hands, gonged in as a traditional welcome, then given a briefing of the place and allocated rooms. Told in no circumstances are we to walk around, we have to call reception to get picked up in a golf cart to go back to the main lodge area for meals, drinks, etc.

The room is massive, with a bathroom to match. We have a deck out the front which overlooks the scrub - no animals yet. Unpack, shower then back for dinner. Cart pick up works fine. We have a table on the balcony which overlooks the waterhole. There are Impala drinking which is very calming.

Dinner is great and we get to chat to one of the staff who is from a tribe not too far from here where they still practice old style dressing, etc. - read bare breasted women and loin cloths for the men. Interesting insight into their culture.

Off to bed as we have another early start for a safari drive into Etosha National Park (right next door to where we are). Beds turned down, insect nets down - and water bottles in bed - not really needed though.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.331s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0989s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb