Mozambique


Advertisement
Mozambique's flag
Africa » Mozambique
September 19th 2005
Published: November 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We left Blantyre, Malawi after a big shop (provisions being very short in Zimbabwe) & made our way to the Mozambique border. Getting out of Malawi was fine, getting into Mozambique was a different story.
The plan was to dash across Mozambique & make it into Zimbabwe before nightfall so that we didn't have to bushcamp on possibly landmined ground. The border staff decided it would take about 3 hours to process our visas & charge us US$28 for the privilege, whereas a tour group of South Africans were let through in 20mins. When finally into Mozambique we raced across trying to make up lost time not knowing what time the Zim border closed. Saw a great sunset over the Zambezie river but we couldn't take any photos as it is a military target. Got to the Zim border at 7.45 luckily to find it shut at 8 & once we had got through all the stringent security checks we could think about finding somewhere to camp. That somewhere being the grounds of The Pumpkin Hotel, a strange deserted hotel no doubt as a result of the current political situation.
In total we only took about 20 steps in Mozambique but still managed to see Heuglins Robin, Purple Crested Lourie & Racket Tailed Roller on the way.

Drink of the Day: Savannah Dry Cider (Most refreshing after the Zim border)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb